Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Help Retargetting Animations

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
udkultimate polycounter lvl 3
Hello guys.

I want a help with retargetting animation between different skeletons. I want to use some Mocap animations inside UDK Engine (Unreal Engine 3), as I am creating a third person shooter game.

I am trying to retarget these mocap anims to the default UDK/UT Skeleton. I know I can use a custom skeleton, in case, I could use the skeleton that comes with these mocap instead of copying (retargetting) the animations to Default UDK Skeleton, however doing so would take much more time because I would have to create/edit ALL the Character Animations, and I just want to use some mocap (mainly for death sequences).

I will explain my workflow, however I want to know if there is a better software/tool for retarget animations than those I am using.

I imported the default UDK Skeleton to Maya 2018, I created a skeleton definition in the HumanIK Plugin, created the control rig, everything ok.

Then I imported to a new scene one mocap anim (fbx format), and created aswell the skeleton definition for the mocap anim, so then I just set the source animation of the first character (UDK Skeleton) to the mocap anim character, like in the oficial autodesk tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2SmByZDIjw).

On the video the retarget works perfectly with just some clicks. I have tried hundred of times, tried, retried, with many different mocap skeletons.

The retarget itself worked at some level, i mean, it does not happen like in the tutorial, outside the box. I had to play for hours with the retarget settings, parameters until I got something decent. By decent I mean the limbs moving, accompaining the mocap bones, however it is still buggy.

I got many bones twisted, also there was some random shaking in the feet movement, the head popping up and down. So the solution I found was to send the maya scene to motion builder, then in motion builder I manually fixed these animations by keyframing (cleaning up).

Even then the animation is not perfectly exactly like in the mocap (I am by no way a professional, just a hobbist), so because this I would like to know if there is another better workflow for me, other software, and so on.

Thanks.