Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

2D character and hut concept

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
bystry polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys, I'm working on the concept in my free time to gather some experience with designing more complex environments and characters. My goal is to create character and environment concept for  AAA game like Witcher. I want to show you my progress and ask for feedback from more experienced people. Some time ago I've got an idea about spaceship survivor crashed somewhere in central Europe. I created some character concept. Based on it now I'm going to create a hut and an alien survivor design who is living on medieval earth and pretends to be druid or protector of the forest. The character is inspired by witchers leshy and Slavic mythology.
There are initial idea and concept.

there are some iterations and later designs. Basically, for the character, I would stay with natural materials and clothes he can create or get from people as a gift. Only parts of insect-like armors see through, some cables and lighting devices on staff can indicate that he is an alien creature.

I've looked for some mood and location for the whole scene.

For hut, I wanted to have some more complexed shape to indicate host's alien nature. He used mainly items he can find in the forest.

I'm not sure for the interior. Basically, idea was to make there living space with a bunch of alien devices inside. He is struggling with fixing his communication module. I wanted to create this device to look like some pagan altar, with cables and weird looking markings and symbols on floor and walls.
after time I decided to change the interior, because I felt I've got too much stuff in corners, and not too much between.

If you have any feedback or suggestions feel free to share. I will try to update this topic as far I am with designs.

Replies

• EVF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    really nice content! loving that hut :)
    As far as the character goes, my humble opinion is that his torso is a bit long/legs too short.
    For the scene location I like the mood, I would work in some warm shadows to contrast the cool color light.
    solid concept!
  • bystry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bystry polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, thanks for the feedback, I changed legs instead torso, because one of the main features of this character was this red skin connecting arms with a torso, I think I made longer torso to fit this skin and get some space for legs and muscles on his side.  for a character, i wanted some quick fixes and additional clothes to make it less alien without changing too much of anatomy.
    There is final result for this project, I know I should update more often, but my workflow is quite chaotic and its make harder to be more regular.  I will try to fix it in future.

• Splix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Splix vertex
    Looks nice to me :) 
  • bystry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bystry polycounter lvl 3
    Splix said:
    Looks nice to me :) 
    thank you;)