Home Technical Talk

T Pose vs A Pose?

Alexink
null
Offline / Send Message
Alexink null
Hey guys/ girls, which is the optimal pose to use for character creation? (when giving it to someone else for rigging or animating.) A pose or T pose?
I'm not sure if this is the proper subforum to post this in, if not please move :)
Thank's in advance.

Replies

• Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    I would go with a pose it feels a lot more natural to sculpt in and works fine for rigging.
  • wilson66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 polycounter lvl 8
    Go with A pose.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Pose because...

A-Pose is half way between the extremes that the arms need to deform. 
    T-Pose is closer to the upper extreme but the arms are rarely in the upper extremes and spend most of their time in the lower. 
    T-Pose smashes the shoulders making them hard to define and the textures stretch pretty hard when the arms come down.

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Alexink said:
    Hey guys/ girls, which is the optimal pose to use for character creation? (when giving it to someone else for rigging or animating.) A pose or T pose?
    Not to say one is better than the other, nothing stops you from modeling in T-pose (which is axis aligned, more intuitive), and delivering it in A-pose (more natural shoulder form like Mark said) for rigging.
    You can model it one way and deliver it in another.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    To be real honest, badly stretched armpits bother me more than stretched shoulders, but I wouldn't go with 90 degrees T-pose, but a bit higher than A-pose's 45 degrees though. Just to get enough anatomical definition for the armpits.

EDIT: I do that only if the character's shoulder region isn't covered with clothing. If fully clothed, then I wouldn't care about armpits that much.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    A-pose because it doesn't present a problem adjusting the arms when the model is rigged, and needed say for mocap-animation in an app like Motionbuilder. I find it difficult to model a character that is not relaxed.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    This also depends on the type of game you're making the character for. A 'T' pose might be better for a platform game like uncharted or tomb raider where you see the character climbing a lot. The 'A' pose might be better for a game where a character holds a gun. You can even go to more extreme lengths and bend the characters arms for better deformation when they're holding a gun. The same might be true if you're modeling for a racing game where a character is always riding a motorbike. It's often better to have your default pose as close to the most commonly used pose as you can.