Home Technical Talk

Stylized Cartoon Poly

Hi all!
It's been a while since i'm working on my 3D skills, but i'm still i'm not 100% happy whit the results of what i'm getting. Basically because i started using zBrush with Character Art but now i want to craft my "poly-modeling" skills (Maya/Blender) to do some in-game assets, like props and enviroments. And i am looking for achieve a really specific kind of "style".
The style that i want to "master" it's like Nintendoish, Low Poly, Gigantic (Game)... you know, this kind of colourful, really graphic, stylised shapes, cartoon rendering... I've made THIS reference board that really represents it, just in case :) 

And the reason that i'm writing here it's because i'm kinda lost and don't know how to achieve this visual language to be honest. I know i should just sit down, practice and analice exactly the pieces that i'm taking as a reference. But in terms of "best practices" (since i come from a very 2D background) it's getting pretty slow to decompose the steps to get a functional progress... specially in terms of tutorials (or techniques) and so, I've found really little of this kind of style (Like the Stylised Dungeon). I guess that one side it's just simple polymodeling (plus good shape design), and the rendering & lighting but... really don't know. Since the 3D world requires a strong tech side to achieve this kind of look & feel, i get lost easily on the way to understand how to get there...
How will be your approach? How will you try to develop this visual 3D language? What routine can i set up? Is there anyone already trying something similar in here that i can follow? Are there some class/workshop/mentoring out there that i must check? Any thoughts or tips are more than welcome! :D

Apologies in avance for such newbie question! I see such strong community here that i felt could be the right place to ask this. Thanks in advance!
PD.: Here i let a fast mashup of the images that I've made in case it helps to know what level of skill i have right now ;)

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Make what you aim to, start a thread in the wip section here,  put a mood board in your thread showing the direction you wish to go. Usually you will get help. Along the way you will hit technical problems. When you do show them here with a clear explanation of the problem plus images to illustrate your point. The march of a thousand leagues begins with a single step!