Home Technical Talk

Problem with floaters

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
AnArtAccount polycounter lvl 4
Hello!

I have a small problem with floaters. I decided to screw around with them / baking in general.
I tried out Zbrush first and that worked fine. But I'm not the best at Zbrush so I decided to check out the floater method that I saw in a tutorial. (ChamferZone mech) But I'm getting some weird results when I bake them. Note that I did a quick unwrap because I just wanted to test this out. So if that's the problem, then I know enough.
also, I'm not sure if the geometry can screw things up (the geometry under the floaters).
I reset the Xform before exporting the lowPoly and the HighPoly. 

I hope you guys can help me with this or give me some advice.

Thanks for reading!

(First pic: 3DSmax with the floaters. if it helps: I attached them to the object. they have the Chamfer, turbosmooth and the Xform modifier on them)

(Second pic: The bake in Substance painter)

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    how does the lowpoly look like? my guess is it is due to the way the lowpoly is constructed and therefore how the rays are cast. a custom cage might fix this.
  • AnArtAccount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    how does the lowpoly look like? my guess is it is due to the way the lowpoly is constructed and therefore how the rays are cast. a custom cage might fix this.
    Thanks, I'll have a look at that, in the meantime. Here is a picture of the LowPoly:
  • YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
    I'm not a 100% since I can't eliminate all the factors from your screengrabs. But it looks like the Turbosmooth is creating this problem. Are you exporting the low poly with a turbosmooth applied? This could change the geo and thus the projection.

Another thing that is odd is that the skewing takes place with a very sharp line. Is the UV even connected there? If not, why not? 
  • AnArtAccount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not a 100% since I can't eliminate all the factors from your screengrabs. But it looks like the Turbosmooth is creating this problem. Are you exporting the low poly with a turbosmooth applied? This could change the geo and thus the projection.

Another thing that is odd is that the skewing takes place with a very sharp line. Is the UV even connected there? If not, why not? 
    The turbosmooth is in the same mesh as the lowpoly. only disabled when exporting. Currently separating the meshes into high and lowpoly's. The unwrap was done with flatten mapping and no time was spent on it because I just wanted to test this out like I quoted in my first message. Thanks for the advice though! I'll have a look at it :)
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Its the ngons and not controlled triangulation.