Disclaimer: I've been working on this for a few months, so it's not a new thread in the sense that I'm posting what I started with. I totally forgot to post here earlier, so I'll just make up for it by showing embarassing college work as the lead-up to its current progress.
This project is a 90% accurate recreation of a real-world location
that I created as a college project in 2009 as part of our "advanced level design" class at the Art Institute of Tampa. I worked with two other people on this and was the principal modeler, while another artist developed textures for the installation. The last team member was responsible for placing all of it into UDK.
I'm a huge fan of electrical installations. I think they look like metal skeletons, especially at night. With the right lighting, they're very atmospheric and work as great hard-surface practice too!
I always wanted to go back to this project and make it look better, plus have full creative control over the end product, so that's what I'm doing here.
Original college work:
The final UDK work makes me laugh looking back at it, but at least I can say I didn't have a hand in this part.
It clocked in at around 50,000 polygons. It was also grossly inaccurate to the actual photo references I took, so yay for rushing to complete projects before they're due!
Some shots of the substation I took:
I'm shooting for a night scene with a spooky ambiance. Here's the work-in-progress inside of UE4 so far.
More to come as I find time to work on it.