Home Technical Talk

Texel Density 512 Pix/Meter. [HELP!]

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
dropyhop polycounter lvl 10
Hi,

I have got a constraint of 512 px/m for the texel density. I have came across many good articles but I still cant understand this.
The thing is I uv'ed the entire mesh to that density but when I go to pack it its bigger than the 0 to 1 uv space. 

What do you do to tackle this problem any insights will be greatly apprieciated.

Many thanks

Replies

• bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    UV Space is relative to the size of your actual texture resolution.

In Maya you got this:

Set the map size (texture size) larger, then your shells shall fit.
  • dropyhop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bitinn

So, does that mean I reduce the uv shells and make them fit the 0 to 1 space and then while baking I increase the resolution and bake ?
    Then what would the res for texture baking in this case ?

Man, really appreciate your comment i have been banging my head to find how to get this right.
  • bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    dropyhop said:
    @bitinn

So, does that mean I reduce the uv shells and make them fit the 0 to 1 space and then while baking I increase the resolution and bake ?
    Then what would the res for texture baking in this case ?

Man, really appreciate your comment i have been banging my head to find how to get this right.

UV Space is relative, it doesn't actually know your texture size/mesh size directly, however:

- IF you have a plane of 1x1 square meter
    - AND it has a shell that fills the whole UV
    - AND you expect to have a 512x512 pixels texture
    - THEN your texel density is 512px/m.

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    One way to tackle this is to set a reasonable texture map size (e.g. 512x512) scale the uv's to produce the required texel density and check if they fit into the 0-1 space. If not you have to use the next bigger valid texture size (e.g. 1024x512) and check again - or - if there is too much wasted space take the next smaller one (e.g. 512x256)

If you want or have to use a fixed map size you scale your uv's to produce the required texel density and then simply try to put as many uv-shell into each 0-1 space until you have placed them all.
    If one uv-shell is bigger then the 0-1 space you have to split it or go to whoever forces you to use fixed map sizes and complain ;)
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    depending on the project you could also create tileable materials and assign different materials to different parts
    then you would not have to bother about uv shells fitting in the 0-1 space

• dropyhop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin said:
    One way to tackle this is to set a reasonable texture map size (e.g. 512x512) scale the uv's to produce the required texel density and check if they fit into the 0-1 space. If not you have to use the next bigger valid texture size (e.g. 1024x512) and check again - or - if there is too much wasted space take the next smaller one (e.g. 512x256)

If you want or have to use a fixed map size you scale your uv's to produce the required texel density and then simply try to put as many uv-shell into each 0-1 space until you have placed them all.
    If one uv-shell is bigger then the 0-1 space you have to split it or go to whoever forces you to use fixed map sizes and complain ;)
    Thanks man! that's what I ended up doing.

depending on the project you could also create tileable materials and assign different materials to different parts
    then you would not have to bother about uv shells fitting in the 0-1 space

Hey in this case I had to use unique textures.
    Many thanks!
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Oh god great I found this thread, so what you ended up doing? scaled down your shells into 01 space with 512x512 texture res.
    Not to hijack your post here is my thread with similar dilema lol

http://polycount.com/discussion/192294/texel-density-and-units-in-depth#latest
  • dropyhop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @HAWK12HT

I fitted it in 0 to 1 and then increased the texture resolution. :)
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hmm but what about your TD limit ? gone out the window :D Thank you for reply mate. 
  • dropyhop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @HAWK12HT

No problem man,

So the main constraint was to follow texel density and since it was not fitting, I had to increase texture res in order to get desired Texel Density.

So, I had unwrapped model and then applied correct texel density and then one of my senior's suggested to eye ball it, so in this case half of all the uv islands where fitting in the 0 - 1, so I just had to go from 1K to 2K texture res and now I could fit uvs in 0 - 1.

Another thing that I used before above suggestion was that I had 1K, 2K, 4K maps ready and I applied them on the model, used a tool to check if its above or under the desired Texel Density.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ah custom in house tool for TD checking? or something we can buy online? Hmm seems like I have taken this TD to super extreme despite the fact that I manually make sure with checker pattern that all my assets that will be viewed up close have more or less same TD. However I still cant say 100% that I understood this constraint method if someday I have to work with it the option I ll have would be to tile texture or break the mesh into several parts to fit in 0-1 space to match exact TD for unique content.
    Thanks a lot though mate!! I will research more into this and hopefully will be able to come up with more understanding on this matter :D
  • dropyhop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, its an in house made by one guy in studio but you can check on Script spots or look at tex tools.

To be honest TD can never be 100% same for every asset there is always 10 - 5 % difference plus or minus. I was total anal about it before I got into studio but some difference is acceptable.

No problem man we are all in same boat and learning! 
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Haha yup I finally learned to let go of this today as I was thinking too much about it, thanks to awesome people like you in this community who helped me understand this td stuff even more. Sharing the updated thread below so anyone who come knocking at polycount searches can benifit.

http://polycount.com/discussion/192294/texel-density-and-units-in-depth#latest