Home Technical Talk

Combining a separate head/face and body rig in Maya.

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
ch0bra polycounter lvl 2
Hi all. I've been following a fairly old Maya facial rigging course from digitaltutors (Rigging the human face in Maya 2011), using my own mesh rather than the project files. I only have a very basic understanding of the rigging process, and a lot of it still baffles me, but everything was going well until the final tutorial...

In the tutorials the instructer works on a detached head mesh rather than a full character model, so I figured it would be a good idea to do the same. I duplicated the faces of the head/neck from my model and followed along, separately. In the final tutorial, he attaches the head rig to the body rig using a wrap deformer. When I do it, it gives me these results:

This happens when I move either of the head controls or the neck control. Controls for the actual face work, but only when both meshes are directly on top of each other. 

I have also tried removing the head geometry from the original rigged character model, combining the rigged head geometry to the body rig geometry, merging the vertices and connecting the skeletons together (I attempted parenting and various constraints to connect the skeletons). I also attempted a blendshape but that gives me the error "no deformable object selected".

Nothing I've attempted has worked and I'm struggling to find anything online that directly solves my problem. I would ideally like for the head controls to follow the body rather than working from a blendshape or wrap deformer, but truthfully, I'm now worried that I've shot myself in the foot by detaching the head in the first place. 

This is for my final university project, which I was making great progress on until I decided to do the rigging myself. I'm itching to finish my remaining models and prepare the environment but I just want to have my completed character for peace of mind. I've received help on these forums before and I'm hoping somebody can be a life-saver again. I'm going to include a few more screenshots below, I hope it's enough to properly understand my scene.

Head: 

Body:

Both:

Thanks again to anyone who reads this. How do I do this?! Got my fingers crossed for good news!