Home Career & Education

Anyone who's learning 3D Software/Digital Drawing while studying something else?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
visionarymindful polycounter lvl 6
So I have been having this concern , if I should really study 3D Animation or if i can do it on the side , while studying in a university .  Of course many people will say that it will be very difficult if you learn it on the side along with studies , which need energy and time and especially if you'd work alongside so that you'll save some bucks for yourself . :s:s

If you ask me why I want to choose to study another major instead of 3D Animation , I'd say that it's because that I would like to have a plan B in case I won't find a job as a 3D artist (as I've read so many stories in CG-related forums and from some acquaintances that many of them have ended up working as something to save money for what they've studied). :#:#:#

But in the meantime I would like to see (and also get to know) any Polycounters here who learn 3D animation Software/Digital drawing on the side but it's their ambition to be a 3D artist anyway.  

cheers o:)

Replies

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Yes it's going to be very difficult. I studied a bit on the side while at uni and I imagine it can be very demanding with uni work and deadlines. I graduated in 2013 and I'm still in the hunt for my first gig.

I had to take online workshops after graduation while working a part-time job to really understand animation.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I work a full time job and have been studying on the side for 2.5 years. My work only demands 8 hours of my day though, so studying at uni might require more time than that. If you decide to study 3D on the side, make sure you come up with a specific goal in mind, so you can figure out the exact things you need to learn. It will save you a lot of time.

What you're saying is 3D art is your Plan A career, but you want to choose a totally different area of study as a Plan B for your career, and study 3D art on the side? That's a little bit of reversed logic. If you want to do this as a career, and it's plan A, make studying 3D a priority. You won't become the best of the best if you don't give it your all!

Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I did.

My major was Interactive Media at the University of Southern California.  Game design basically.

Spent free time and project time doing game art and traditional art.
  • visionarymindful
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did.

My major was Interactive Media at the University of Southern California.  Game design basically.

Spent free time and project time doing game art and traditional art.
    Yeah but what you've been studying was helpful to game art and traditional art. I'm going to study Architecture ...
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    3d is really going to help you with architectural visualisation and propably make better renders than the other students.If you want to work for interiors as well, it is going to be alot more usefull! Architecture has a very demanding college that squeezes your imagination and it has a lot of projects to do, sucking up most of your free time so I doubt you will be able to learn alot if 3d at the same time.

If you like architecture you can focus on that and let the 3d aspect be a hobby you develop that also enhances your main job. I'd say go with architecture for now and pursue this path, because it can give you much more money than a 3d job, and you will get to do alot of 3d as well. 

Also, having a plan b means that you expect something might fail. If you cannot make plan a work, you will not be able to make plan b work as well. I see alot of younger people do this. You should not have a plan b, you should do everything in your power to make plan a work.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

...how's your math?!

Well about face (...learnt programming prior to creating 3D Art) when in the first half of the early noughties (2000-2004) Web Design/Development scene had quite a bit of steam left, post .com crash. Ergo, enamoured with thoughts of crack'n it big via salaried wage or a gun freelance coding journeyman for hire. So I decided to enter tertiary/academic education studying IT Programming as a mature age student, whilst keeping in mind, barely knew my way around WIN 2000 Office Word let alone finding a desktop ON button...

I confess upon reflection was overall a harrowing experience trying to somewhat assimilate the principles and concepts governing OOP, specifically JAVA but even though having too eventually withdraw from my course of study due to illness, nonetheless I'm grateful today for the grounding I'd acquired after four semesters.

As an aside through friends and family in the 'biz', Digital/3D/CG artists with technical skills are typically sought after, irrespective of studio size, category and/or renown.       

• visionarymindful
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry said:
    3d is really going to help you with architectural visualisation and propably make better renders than the other students.If you want to work for interiors as well, it is going to be alot more usefull! Architecture has a very demanding college that squeezes your imagination and it has a lot of projects to do, sucking up most of your free time so I doubt you will be able to learn alot if 3d at the same time.

If you like architecture you can focus on that and let the 3d aspect be a hobby you develop that also enhances your main job. I'd say go with architecture for now and pursue this path, because it can give you much more money than a 3d job, and you will get to do alot of 3d as well. 

Also, having a plan b means that you expect something might fail. If you cannot make plan a work, you will not be able to make plan b work as well. I see alot of younger people do this. You should not have a plan b, you should do everything in your power to make plan a work.
    Well Architecture's not really my thing (although I chose subjects in high school for that career path) but I like the design aspects of it (perspective , isometric , etc.) . 
    I have a plan b because I've seen so many times that my plans have gone wrong... so it may go wrong this time as well (who knows?  :# ) ...but yeah... I had a dream of studying 3D Animation but I always had this guilty within me that after my studies in 3D Animation I'll either find a 3d Artist-job that won't let me make enough for a living or end up working as something else (aka wasted my money on a degree for no reason)...
    I will agree in that case that you can't catch two birds with one stone... why do I even think like that in the first place? lol  :/  
    Nevertheless I had a concern about this my skills in 3D are not even good enough to do freelancing or so... if it would have been the other way maybe I would not have even cared about choosing another career path or so... 
  • visionarymindful
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I work a full time job and have been studying on the side for 2.5 years. My work only demands 8 hours of my day though, so studying at uni might require more time than that. If you decide to study 3D on the side, make sure you come up with a specific goal in mind, so you can figure out the exact things you need to learn. It will save you a lot of time.

What you're saying is 3D art is your Plan A career, but you want to choose a totally different area of study as a Plan B for your career, and study 3D art on the side? That's a little bit of reversed logic. If you want to do this as a career, and it's plan A, make studying 3D a priority. You won't become the best of the best if you don't give it your all!

Good luck with whatever you choose!
    Full time working while studying? :o ..you must have quite the strength ...

Yes , I'm saying that 3D Art is my Plan A career and I want to choose a totally different Area  of study(Architecture) as a Plan B while learning 3D Art on the side. Reversed Logic huh?... I think that name fits the whole idea. But although I've seen that at vast majority of  3D artists live barely on their salary they get from their projects (but still I doubt that's how every artist makes a living like , I would like to  validate that through searching and searching people who actually make a decent through this career path). It's kinda sadomasochistic to go for another career path when it comes for a "better living" . 

Actually I have some projects on my mind...the thing is that I have to learn the software pretty well or at learn them on the go , which takes more time...Actually both ways take lots of time because when you learn new stuff you'll have to make corrections on the project or even begin from scratch again ...

Question: Did you actually study or attended a school to become a 3D Artist or are you self-taught ? And are you working as freelancer or in a studio?
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Larry said: u

Well Architecture's not really my thing (although I chose subjects in high school for that career path) but I like the design aspects of it (perspective , isometric , etc.) . 
    I have a plan b because I've seen so many times that my plans have gone wrong... so it may go wrong this time as well (who knows?  :# ) ...but yeah... I had a dream of studying 3D Animation but I always had this guilty within me that after my studies in 3D Animation I'll either find a 3d Artist-job that won't let me make enough for a living or end up working as something else (aka wasted my money on a degree for no reason)...
    I will agree in that case that you can't catch two birds with one stone... why do I even think like that in the first place? lol  :/  
    Nevertheless I had a concern about this my skills in 3D are not even good enough to do freelancing or so... if it would have been the other way maybe I would not have even cared about choosing another career path or so... 
    Your plans have gone wrong just because you didnt push yourself enough, which is what younger people tend to do. Every plan goes wrong, nothing goes as we planned, you just change your perspective and move on with what you have. You do not swap back to the more convenient solution. Having a backup plan would be fine if ypu worked in acting/singing career
  • visionarymindful
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry said:
    Larry said: u

Your plans have gone wrong just because you didnt push yourself enough, which is what younger people tend to do. Every plan goes wrong, nothing goes as we planned, you just change your perspective and move on with what you have. You do not swap back to the more convenient solution. Having a backup plan would be fine if ypu worked in acting/singing career
     :|  :|  I'll have to agree with that . Even though I had it as an ambition since I was 14 and I had access to Autodesk's 3D Software on a very weak 10-year old Desktop (it's dead now) , still I didn't practise enough but rather only Adobe Photoshop... (kids they say...yeah I feel angry towards myself for that...)

I'll have also to agree that many kids of my generation (and the younger generations as well) have this mindset of not really even trying ,but rather taking it as granted that they'll learn everything in college in an instant. But I'm thankful that I practiced more intensive in my late teens (at least I can draw better than in my early teens and know how to use Zbrush too).

Maybe I should vanish the idea of having a "backup plan"