Home Technical Talk

Decal Text Tool?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam crockett polycounter lvl 19
I'm looking for a text tool that, instead of creating geometry or spline letters, creates flat planes textured with alpha letters from a decal atlas.

I've been googling for a bit and haven't found anything like that. With the frequency of Alien Isolation/Star Citizen decal workflows, I figured someone would have made something like this by now. 

I need to texture a lot of aircraft control consoles, and I want to reference an alphabet in a decal atlas instead of creating an atlas of ALL the words on ALL the consoles. 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This seems like it would be do-able with MCG in 3ds Max.
  • adam crockett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought so too, but I can't even figure out how to do a text entry field. I've literally never messed with MCG before so I'm at a disadvantage. I could probably figure it out, if anyone can suggest some MCG nodes to take a look at. 
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    so you basically want a font atlas and a 3d placeable text mesh, which generates the planes of the letters on the fly? and is also projected to a  surface ?

• adam crockett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio said:
    so you basically want a font atlas and a 3d placeable text mesh, which generates the planes of the letters on the fly? and is also projected to a  surface ?

yes, I mean I already have a texture containing the alphabet in a particular font. I want to type words into a field, like a regular text tool, which then spits out a series of planes, whose UVs are respectively positioned over the correct letter in the atlas. I'm not sure what you mean by "projected to a surface". I'd manually drag, snap, and place the new text decal object myself. 
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Could you provide your atlas or atleast its layout ? i can cook something i guess. Won't be like blender decal machine tho :p.
    One thing coming to my mind, is that fonts have letterspacing parameters (aka kerning) and it wont be respected. So you may have "unatural" space between letters.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    if you want to dig deeper into this topic here you have a free bitmap font genereator which also writes out the kernigs:
    http://www.angelcode.com/products/bmfont/

• adam crockett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an example decal-phabet. I truncated it down to just the letters, the rest of the negative space is actually for dials and  other markings. I tried to upload a tga with an  alpha but it wouldn't let me. Just copy the layer to the alpha channel I guess. 

The Kerning is a legitimate concern. I figured there could be a slider that spaces the decal geometry apart to simulate kerning, if need be.