Home Technical Talk

FBX previews in Windows 10: By far the coolest feature...

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    thomasp said:
    "GLB (Binary GL Transmission Format) is the recommended substitute 3D file format for use in 3D Viewer."

Ok, that's really helpful. Lets just like ... convert all the assets into something else like this standard decided on by a committee that nobody seems to be using/defaulting to. I suppose at least this way you can be 100% certain that no FBX file however large will trigger a preview and lock up your machine. ;)

i never even used that feature until yesterday, but had to look through dozens of randomly named ID tagged assets to find a specific one. not gonna import them all into some software...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Same here. I don't find quick previews of 3d scenes particularly helpful for what I do plus there's the chance that a complex file loads so slow or perhaps not at all that you may as well fire up the DCC to inspect it properly. 

But I do find it funny that they would disable FBX support and instead try to force this format that is at least six years old yet hasn't caught on* in anything I'm aware of and probably is well on track to be about as relevant to our day-to-day as its apparent predecessor Collada.

*as in become a default format in common use. Not caught on as in: some coder whipped up an exporter in a fortnight.