Home Career & Education

Lighting Portfolio Question

Kevinf1894
node
Hi everyone, I am a recent graduate and I am thinking about focusing on lighting. I know that what they care about most is basically scene composition and, of course, how the lighting looks. I want to do everything in UE4 but I was wondering if I should make my own assets and props or use other ones since I want the main focus to be how the lighting and post process effects look. Thanks!

Replies

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    There's several directions you can go with this. You need to think what job title you will be taking. In my mind you have 3 options.

1. Environment Artist.
    2. Visualisation Artist.
    3. Technical Artist.

1. Environment Artist. 

This is the run of the mill game artist, for this application then yes, you will need to know how to make your own models and materials, and understand how to work from reference images and be able to match the mood and lighting of the concepts.

2. Visualisation Artist.

You will be focusing on Architectural visualisation. You will not be expected to make your own models and materials (however it helps a lot). You will push the engine to the upper limits to get the most photoreal finish possible. You will also need to be able to make images in traditional ray trace rendering software such as VRAY.

3. Technical Artist.

You write scripts and plugins that enhance the usability and functionality of the engine. For example UE4 has a locked frensel reflection ratio (adjusted with metal map) however certain materials (gemstones) have a frensel rating way out of the range possible by UE4. 

Which one sounds closest to your interests?
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Hi Kevin,

If your goal is to jump straight into UE4 and lighting, go for it. There's plenty of free assets on the marketplace; I would look into the infinity blade assets. It wouldn't hurt to try your hand at making your own assets in the future though, there's potential there to gain a clearer understanding of how lighting affects assets, and vice versa. Particularly PBR texturing, UE4 material nodes, and substance painter/designer.

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Bletzkarn said:
    There's several directions you can go with this. You need to think what job title you will be taking. In my mind you have 3 options.

1. Environment Artist.
    2. Visualisation Artist.
    3. Technical Artist.

1. Environment Artist. 

This is the run of the mill game artist, for this application then yes, you will need to know how to make your own models and materials, and understand how to work from reference images and be able to match the mood and lighting of the concepts.

2. Visualisation Artist.

You will be focusing on Architectural visualisation. You will not be expected to make your own models and materials (however it helps a lot). You will push the engine to the upper limits to get the most photoreal finish possible. You will also need to be able to make images in traditional ray trace rendering software such as VRAY.

3. Technical Artist.

You write scripts and plugins that enhance the usability and functionality of the engine. For example UE4 has a locked frensel reflection ratio (adjusted with metal map) however certain materials (gemstones) have a frensel rating way out of the range possible by UE4. 

Which one sounds closest to your interests?
    Actually, it sounds like he wants to do lighting which really doesn't fall under any of those.  If you are focusing on just being a lighting artist, it would probably help to learn a lot about complex lighting situations.  Learn how to light large areas for an MMO type game vs lighting smaller areas in a single player narrative type game.  I would think that would broaden your abilities so that you could get jobs in either.  I will say lighting artists are probably more predominant in more AAA single player titles as roles become much more specified.  A lot of MMOs I have worked on just had environment artists doing the lighting.  It could be beneficial to learn Vray or Mental Ray though because those teach you a lot about realistic lighting principles which will help in your foundation when applying your knowledge to realtime game engines.  You would not need to model and texture your own assets for a role like lighting artist though.  One thing to keep in mind is that this is a VERY SPECIFIC role so unlike env artist, there won't be a lot of positions readily available.  Just something to keep in mind.
  • Kevinf1894
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevinf1894 node
    Thanks for the reply. I have actually been seeing a large amount of lighting artist positions recently which is why I might try my hand at getting more comfortable with the post-processing effects and various other things about lighting in UE4. I would love to become a weapons artist but as of right now I need a job more than anything so I am just trying to cater my portfolio to be able to do either weapons, environments, or lighting.