Sketchbook: Eva Sokolova

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Esok polycounter lvl 3
Hi everyone, 

My name is Eva and while I've been lurking on Polycount for a couple of weeks or so, I decided to start keeping a sketchbook to keep track of my progress. I focus on 2D character concepts and 3D modeling so expect a bit of both! Feedback and critiques are very welcome! 

Replies

• Esok
    Offline / Send Message
    Esok polycounter lvl 3
    Lately I've been working on improving the functionality in my character designs and think more about how parts would attach and be worn in layers. This is one of the costume variations for a female dwarf warrior living up in the cold northern mountains. 

The next step is to settle on a color scheme and start blocking out the base mesh! 
  • Esok
    Offline / Send Message
    Esok polycounter lvl 3
    It's been way too long, plus a proper wave-everything-bye-bye PC crash but I'm finally back on trying to make this viking dwarf happen. Most parts are still block-out level and there's an intimidatingly long way to go but it's moving forward! Critiques, thoughts and feedback welcome, character sculpting is really new for me. 

• Esok
    Offline / Send Message
    Esok polycounter lvl 3
    Progress has been slow lately but I blocked in some accessories, added a mouthbag and started detailing out the gloves. Also I felt unhappy with the base folds in the gambeson arms and "chaps" so made my first foray into Marvelous Designer (which turned out to be way more intuitive to use than I expected!) It means re-doing all of the smaller folds and detailing but the base looks much nicer now so it'll be worth it. After this I should probably do more studies of cloth. 

• Esok
    Offline / Send Message
    Esok polycounter lvl 3
    Trudging along, since the last time I've replaced some of the smaller cloth parts with MD simulations, specifically the wrapped cloth and the tied bands. I've also done minor adjustments to the face to even out some features and created a base for the shield as well as finicked it into place. Still need to figure out the shoulder piece (which I think will be a shoulder pad of wood or metal in the shape of an animal head rather than an actual head). Ditching the cape for now because together with the shield and shieldstraps it would make everything a little unwieldy. 

• Esok
    Offline / Send Message
    Esok polycounter lvl 3
    I needed a little palette cleanser from the character stuff so I picked up Marmoset to present some of my old work a little better and put together a scene out of previously made stylized assets for a 1920's isometric game. :) Could fiddle with the color settings forever but you gotta move on. It would be fun to make more simple little dioramas like this! 

• Esok
    Offline / Send Message
    Esok polycounter lvl 3
    Kept playing around in Marmoset and wanted to try out a small indoors scene. 

• rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin greentooth
    Hey, these mini dioramas are awesome!
  • Esok
    Offline / Send Message
    Esok polycounter lvl 3
    @rollin Thank you!! They're very fun to make.  =)
  • allmighty_thunder
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 9
    Hey i am seeing your stuff on all my 3d art channels awesome :D
  • Esok
    Offline / Send Message
    Esok polycounter lvl 3
    @allmighty_thunder Hehe, good taste in 3D communities! I'm trying to be a bit more proactive about putting stuff out there. :) 
  • Esok
    Offline / Send Message
    Esok polycounter lvl 3
    (Site bugged out, accidental double-post)
  • Esok
    Offline / Send Message
    Esok polycounter lvl 3
    Since the other project is pretty long I wanted to do get in something that I could finish fairly quickly. Currently going over the highpoly and trying to keep the level of detail appropriate.