Home Technical Talk

Ornatrix vs Xgen

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Worldevour polycounter lvl 6
I can't buy Ornatrix for maya and i want to ask, do I really lose much with just using xgen for hair and fur?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umm... You can't use it due to price or someone said no, or you didn't know that it existed for maya?
    https://ephere.com/plugins/autodesk/maya/ornatrix/

Since it seems like you would like a comparison, here are my thoughts as a 10+ yr 3dsmax user and a 5+ yr Maya user.

XGen is pretty good for an out of the box solution, it easily beats 3dsmax's ancient hair/fur modifier which is just a really old version of Shave and a Haircut, 3 or 5 I think. 3dsmax Hair/Fur is not bad for somethings, but there have been a lot of plug-ins that offer a lot better functionality since then and if you're a max user you pretty much need a plug-in to do decent hair. 

With XGen I'm pretty happy to use it out of the box for quite a few hairstyles. There are some plug-ins for Maya that do a slightly better job and have some nice approaches, but it really depends, if you need their specific features/improvements or not.

The only real problem I have with XGen is that it doesn't output guides for Nvidia hairworks. If you're just doing render projects or baking it down, then I guess it doesn't matter. It really depends on what you want to get out of it and how you are looking to use it?

TLDR: They do similar things but not the same way. It depends on what you want to do.
  • Worldevour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worldevour polycounter lvl 6
    it's for price...500$. They stoped their educational licenses too. :dizzy:
    I want to do stills and personal projects like portaits with photorealim.

Btw thanks for the info
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    tarkan did a tutorial how to use xgen with hairworks... there is a way todo that... im not sure if its a free tutorial or a patreon one...