Home Career & Education

I'm really into Stylized 3D Environment Art, but don't know where to begin with

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Zanmato polycounter lvl 6
Hello! I've been doing some random 3D art for about a year now, and throughout the course of my learning experience, I was really hooked with environment art, especially hand-painted stylized art. I've been doing some random stuff with Blender, from low poly to realistic texturing (which I love too, but I just can't get the hang of it). I was really inspired by Blizzard's art style, and been wanting to do some hand-painting stylized stuff for games. However, I'm in a loop right now. I did some of the stylized work like simple sculpting, but I'm still at a loss. I don't know how to hand-paint textures, and lastly, I even don't know how to UV unwrap properly. So my question would be for those who do stylized hand-painted artwork, how did you guys start out? What resources did you use and what would be the best thing to do if I were to pursue this type of career?

Here's what I did. I sculpted the bricks and simple apply a material without hand-painting and UV unwrapping properly.

Replies

• Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Lots of good stuff on the wiki:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/TexturingTutorials

@Jeff Parrott put together a playlist for hand painted stuff as well:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW54USAkyIJq1NNqEmHwgBNtXCaXK6eh6

Also, here's two other tutorials I think are pretty solid when it comes to handpainting stuff:
    http://www.michaeldashow.com/tips_texturepainting.html

http://3dmotive.com/series/hand-painted-texturing.html

Hope these help! 

• aryarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aryarie triangle
    I can second the Tyson Murphy 3dmotive tutorial as that was something I completed recently and I learned a  TON from this. I'm also a beginner trying to learn stylised/hand painted art. 

I'd recommend following that and then try to apply what you've learned to other props/weapons.
  • Buchananball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buchananball polycounter lvl 6
    Tyson Murphy's weapon tutorial is pretty 10/10. I'd also really recommend Tobias Koepp's stylized dungeon tutorial, it runs you through the whole pipeline and not just for assets but tileable materials and some scene layout/lighting parts too. I learned a lot from! 
  • aryarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aryarie triangle
    Tyson Murphy's weapon tutorial is pretty 10/10. I'd also really recommend Tobias Koepp's stylized dungeon tutorial, it runs you through the whole pipeline and not just for assets but tileable materials and some scene layout/lighting parts too. I learned a lot from! 

I had my eye on doing the dungeon tutorial next after finishing my current project so I'm glad to hear that it's helpful :) I love the art in that one too so I'm really looking forward to tackling that one!
  • Zanmato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for giving me the info needed! I've searched the internet, but maybe I never searched enough to find these amazing tutorials! I'm so hyped!

Another followup question:
    Will it be easy to understand Maya's interface? As seen in the tutorials, they are using Maya so maybe I should switch so I could follow the tuts with ease. I've been using Blender and never tried Maya because I get intimidated by the UI.
  • aryarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aryarie triangle
    Zanmato said:
    Thank you for giving me the info needed! I've searched the internet, but maybe I never searched enough to find these amazing tutorials! I'm so hyped!

Another followup question:
    Will it be easy to understand Maya's interface? As seen in the tutorials, they are using Maya so maybe I should switch so I could follow the tuts with ease. I've been using Blender and never tried Maya because I get intimidated by the UI.

I've not used Blender before so it may be the case that you can still follow along in Blender if you prefer so long as there are equivalent tools. For example, the Tyson Murphy tutorial uses the Create Polygon Tool a lot to draw on top of the concept art to create the basic shapes, so as long as there is something similar in Blender I imagine you should be fine to use Blender instead.

If you want to use Maya (I think it's worth learning it given that it is industry standard) I'm sure you will be fine. I had no prior 3D experience at all before Maya and although it is a bit intimidating at first you will get used to it. :) If you already have modeling experience in Blender I'm sure you will pick it up no problem, if a total newbie like me can. :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Maya is learnable.  It just takes time.

Took me a month to learn Modo coming from Maya, but now I can model in both just fine.

It is rare that a 3D software is built in such a way that their UI is intentionally frustrating.
  • Zanmato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! I will surely buy the course and start learning Maya. Would jumping in the course of Tyson Murphy and Tobias Koepp will give me the gist of Maya's interface? Or should I just start from scratch and learn Maya first?
  • aryarie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aryarie triangle
    Not sure about the Tobias Koepp one has I've not watched that yet. In the Tyson Murphy tutorial he shows you everything step-by-step so I think you will be fine if you follow along. If in doubt, google anything that you're not sure about as you go along. :)
  • Zanmato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aryarie said:
    Not sure about the Tobias Koepp one has I've not watched that yet. In the Tyson Murphy tutorial he shows you everything step-by-step so I think you will be fine if you follow along. If in doubt, google anything that you're not sure about as you go along. :)
    Thank you so much! I bought Tobias Koepp's course and so far I've been following it smoothly! I've been googling things that I don't understand such as entering object mode to edit mode and simple things like extruding XD. I'm surprised on how quickly I grasp the controls, it's been really smooth for me! Maybe I'll stick with Maya from now on XD