Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Feedback

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
LukeAnimation polycounter lvl 3
Hello

Would I be able to get some feedback on the following animations?

Thanks

Luke

Replies

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Cool stuff. Next time, upload it to syncsketch for better feedback.

Dog walk - Probably could use more up/down. Back feet feels a little poppy. Also, looks broken at some parts. Need a syncsketch so I can frame through it.

Dog run - Hips feels a little disconnected from the chest. You get more compression and squeeze for the spine. Feels a little slow overall. You could milk the head lead more.

Walk - spine feels stiff. Feet feel off. Maybe drop them more as they come forward. Loosen up arms, more overlap. Need more hip tilt to shwo weight. If you going for a look around with the eyes, get the chest/head involved as well.

Just the eyes may work for a specific idea you may have in mind but I barely noticed it.

These are the things that stick out upon first viewings.
  • LiamReynolds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiamReynolds polycounter lvl 3
    The quadruped pieces i would take a look at the shoulders/clavicles they tend to have quite a big shift when impacting the weight on an animal. The run has little to no shoulder movement when the front legs hit the ground (they need to impact just like a hip on a human) same goes for the walk, they dont really move. The walk could also do with some chest/torso X rotation (side to side tilt) you have some on the run but the walk feels like hes been animated in the side view.
  • LukeAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, I've made changes affecting those Vimeo videos above and I've also uploaded these files to: https://syncsketch.com/pro/#project/7973

Would I be able to get further comments?

Thanks!
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • LukeAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dog run - Feels nice. You might get more of a reach with the paws as the dog reaches forward but maybe it was in your ref.

Side view looks good. Front view, things look a little more stiff. Maybe it's the angle, but the chest area feels a little wooden. There's also a pop that I'm seeing from f5-8. With it cycling, it becomes more distracting. Nice work overall.

Dog walk - Are you using reference for this? Because the footfall sequences feels a little off. But it just maybe the type of walk the dog is doing which would be fine if it's in your ref.

I would still increase the up and down for the hips. Raise it more when the foot is in the passing position.

Biped walk:

Nice bounce on the character, feels cool.

f1 - relax the front foot a little. Same goes for f14, relax the feet.

f9 - foot could be lower during the passing position. We usually avoid lifting our feet too high to conserve energy. It's why we trip over the slightest protrusion.

f12-14 - Try to clean up the big spacing gaps a little for the front foot.

f19-31 - Left arm is pretty stiff throughout here.

f12-15 - Back foot slows down and pretty much stops. It then pops back on f16. From the moment the foot contacts the ground to when it leaves the ground, the backwards translation (usually Translate Z) should be linear. The curve should be completely linear. Same goes for the other foot. Right now, it causing a stop start feel.

Overall, solid stuff. Just some areas for loosening and possible mechanics stuff. 

• LukeAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello

I've uploaded a new walk cycle. Could I also receive some feedback on this?

Thanks

• LloydHallam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LloydHallam polycounter lvl 8
    So this is looking good so far, I'm liking the subtlety and attention to details in certain places like the fingers and eyes. The arms look good in the front view, but they're swinging far too wide in the side view, tone that down a little, keep this guy relaxed. Lastly, keep an eye out for any popping, take a look at his knee when his foot is is behind him, there's a pop as he lifts it up, bring his foot a little further forward so that his leg is ever so subtly bent rather than fully straight to prevent this. Keep it up!
  • tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Luke, the thing that sticks out to me most is the balance from the side view. It looks like the weight to too far back. I'd do a quick test to see what it would look like if the hips were just a smidge further forward. I notice this most just after the contact pose, once the back foot starts to come up.