Home Technical Talk

Need Help in creating Hair collision

Klight
null
Offline / Send Message
Klight null
Hi, I am fairly new to maya and I am currently lost in creating the process of creating hair collision for my model.  The tutorials I found  are outdated where user  apply "make collide" from  nhair to create hair collision.  However, I notice this technique is no longer viable in newer version of Maya. So how should I create hair collision? 

I have manage to used Maya bonus toll to create dynamic joint for my character pony tails
The outliner of my dynamic joint. 

However, this is where I'm completely lost,  I just cant seem to find a way in creating hair collision, as you can see from image below. The pony tail move straight through the  character arm. 

Expert guidance is really appreciated, Thank you

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, have you checked the documentation? nHair can collide with any other nucleus object type.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2018/ENU/?guid=GUID-BABBD1CE-C82C-4EDB-BBF6-4C0EBC854DAA
  • Klight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klight null
    @throttlekitty Hi, thank for the reply. I did checked the documentation but I ended up even more confuse. 

Problem encounter after reading through the mentioned and other guides I found on the internet,

1. Which  dynamic object should I assign to my character body (ncloth, nparticle, etc) 
    2. I try assigned a ncloth to my model body, it didn't go well. 
    3. I try using this method recommend by  a user from cg-society http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php?t-1393533.html. Assigning passive collider  and assign to my existing nucleus (the one in the image) to It , However, it only made my pony tails gone hay-wire. 
    4.  I have turn on every collision attribute from both nucleus and hair dynamic , yet it didn't work. 

At this point, I just  try out every single technique i could find from the internet and hope for the best.  :s
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, that's a lot more info than your first post, much more helpful. I haven't anything like this with nucleus, so I'm of little help here. Is the model you're showing a proxy, or is this the actual character? Normally I'd say "hey this looks like a fun problem" and see if I can't figure it out, but I'm pressed for time lately, sorry.

1. It should be a passive collider on the geo, I don't know if the rules change for a skinned model though.
    3. Something that jumps out at me is that your ponytails seem to intersect the body, causing an immediate collision. Also, you'd want the hair to be a separate object so you're not trying to solve the hair across the whole body.
  • Klight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klight null
    @throttlekitty,  the answer for question 3.  Just to be sure. are you referring that  my character 's ponytails mesh and body mesh should be separate mesh ? Currently both of the mentioned mesh
     is combine together. 
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klight said:
    @throttlekitty,  the answer for question 3.  Just to be sure. are you referring that  my character 's ponytails mesh and body mesh should be separate mesh ? Currently both of the mentioned mesh
     is combine together. 
    Yes, the hair and body should be separate meshes.