Home Adobe Substance

substance painter 2 glass?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Simon_____ polycounter lvl 5
hi i am quite new to substance, and i have not learnt anything about creating materials yet, i was wondering if:
is glass even possible? as i've not found any videos or materials on substance share
i would use marmoset but its a little expensive at the moment 

Replies

• Venomfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Venomfly polycounter lvl 2
    It depends on how realistic you want it want to be... one of the cheap ways I have been doing it substance is by adding an opacity mask so that it is nearly 100% transparent, and making both the roughness and metallness at black to keep it extra shiny and reflective, depends on what you're going for, though.
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hm thats an int resting way, does it look good in the iray renderer? 
  • Bering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bering polycounter lvl 7
    You could make glass in Substance designer and import it as material in Painter. I've had great success making glass in Substance painter and it looks absolutely stunning in the iRay renderer. The best glass I've ever made has been done in Designer.  
    You can do glass with a fairly simple setup by adding an opacity output node. I tend to find adding a value between B/W in metallic helps it look authentic, but I suppose that is a personal preference.

Just remember turn the visibility of the background environment on. Then it makes it easier to determent how see-through it should be. 

• Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bering said:
    You could make glass in Substance designer and import it as material in Painter. I've had great success making glass in Substance painter and it looks absolutely stunning in the iRay renderer. The best glass I've ever made has been done in Designer.  
    You can do glass with a fairly simple setup by adding an opacity output node. I tend to find adding a value between B/W in metallic helps it look authentic, but I suppose that is a personal preference.

Just remember turn the visibility of the background environment on. Then it makes it easier to determent how see-through it should be. 

hi do you have a tutorial or something on this? ive never touched designer before
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i did a quick mockup with the materials i have, hows this looking? (ignore label textures and cap these are just place holder) i dont think that they are that bad i just feel the glass looks a little fake, would the glass be passable for bottles on a shelf or some background area or is it too bad even for that?

• Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spent some more time on it, only negative thoughts please, i need to learn glass so i can model things that need glass for my portfolio haha