Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Learning Lighting Art

Replies

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    In the process of re-lighting the Sun Temple as a second Natural Light study - gave myself the theme of "cold winter sun" and I'm playing with the new Rect Lights to simulate "spilling" light whenever I have transitional corridors:

Two areas - one with warm tones and lots of indirect light (I like to light fires/torches, as well as fixtures with a diffuser, in a soft but far-attenuating way) and one more spacious with more shadowed areas - I placed rectangle lights at the start of the two little corridor-y parts so I can control the look of the warm-tone light spilling out of the entranceways. This way I don't have to endlessly iterate to get this kind of result from Lightmass, and it gives a specular highlight (and it's even the right shape, unlike if you do this with a Spot light).

Here's a little collection of reference for mood/colours/cinematography tricks I'm using:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    So, I'm happy enough with progress I've made towards the goal of learning how to effectively light an enviro that's supposed to just be natural light or only medieval fixtures, etc.

Now, on to something a little different. Basically, I'm sick to death of seeing this nonsense in peoples' WIPs:

So I'm working on a series of UE4 Blueprints that are all (in my opinion) how various light fixtures should behave, and should be set up - using mostly Static lighting where I can (yay optimization), sometimes using 4.20's Rectangle Lights (although no falloff control), and trying to balance the no. of exposed controls in the BP with the unique properties of each fixture (e.g. the super-soft falloff of the Normal Exit Sign).

First up, the ever-present Exit Sign:

1. Broken version (both versions are in the same BP) switched off, Normal version switched on

2. Broken version switched on, Normal version switched off

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Next up, a Victorian style wall-mounted orb light Blueprint:

• 1x soft "Fill" point light - no shadows, low falloff exponent, high indirect intensity, it gets primary intensity from a Variable (Light Brightness) that is divided by 15, range variable
    • 2x spot lights - shadows toggleable, low indirect intensity, brightness variable, range variable, soft shadows if enabled, LightFunctions to simulate accurate shadows from the mold of the diffuser/occlusion from the metal base
    • On/Off toggle control for all lights inside
    • Diffuser w/ SSS and Emissive, changed colour based on the light colour, emissive intensity tied to light brightness variable

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Small update to the wallmounted orb - I've added an exposed multiplier to the range of the Fill Light, so in case this fixture needs to artificially fill a larger than expected space, it's not really a problem.

Some shots of some On and Off Blueprints near each other, and then Light Complexity view:

• another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    It seems like compression is spoiling your work, feels like it affects a lot your gradients area!
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    It seems like compression is spoiling your work, feels like it affects a lot your gradients area!
    At this point it's expected behaviour, I'm not worried :) my testing level has almost-default Lightmass settings, the cube room has a low lightmap res, and I'm baking lights at Medium quality

It'll look lovely when it's time to put the final results up ;)
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Happy with these results from the setup, as well as the quick-but-effective texturing job, so that's the second BP done :)
    The multiplier control for the Fill Point really sells it, I'm a big fan of getting lights w/ diffusers as soft as this - which is much easier in more recent UE versions

& here's the Stationary light from the Broken Exit Sign showing off the Transmission of the Orb diffusers, plus how the soft falloff of the Intact Sign ended up:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    All fixture models so far:

I want to do a tasteful, inexpensive setup for a ceiling light, as well as some more architectural light setups, like fake-exterior skylights:

I should be able to nail this sort of look for the Ceiling Lamp using the same cheap Diffuser MM I used for the Orb Light:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Ceiling Light (which I've learned is a Schoolhouse-style Pendant Light) setup (and quick art pass) done:

• Variable Brightness affects all Lights, and the Diffuser Material. Brightness is doubled for the Downward Spot, and divided by 10 for the Static Fill Point Light
    • Attenuation is variable, halved for the Upward Spot (LightFunction, no Shadows), and multiplied by another variable for the Fill Point
    • Outer Cone Angle for the Downward Spot is variable but clamped to 10-90 approx
    • Toggleable Shadow Casting for the Downward Spot
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    WIP setup for a fake inset ceiling skylight:

• Upward-facing Static Rectangle Light for lighting the inside of the inset, and providing Indirect Fill (Attenuation Radius can be Multiplied)
    • Downard-facing Stationary Rectangle Light for the main light
    • Toggleable Shadows, since it's easy to get unrealistic shadows from faking it like this (example in my image)

I think this would work best if you wanted somewhere like a museum gallery or governmental building lit in a bright but ambient way, instead of just having global skylight & harsh/strong direction light coming in and casting sharp shadows
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    WIP setup for a Caged Light (Wall-mounted):

• 2x Spots with LightFunctions
    • 1x Fill Tube
    • No real shadows anywhere, this type of fixture I imagine is often just above doorways or something, it's more important to get the LightFunction and the potential for contributing to the GI as much as desired

UPDATE:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    ArtStation Link

Here's what I've ended up with, for at least the first round of BPs:

Complexity:

Example Blueprint:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Working on some more complex/interesting Fixtures Blueprints, first up from this set is a Projector-based light with a local transform control locked to one axis (for tilting the head):

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Updated the projection, adjusted how the Light colors and the indirect "Fill" lighting works:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Preparing the lowpoly of the Projector fixture - I'll use Vertex Alpha to control the emissive properties of the Reflector and Glass parts:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Got the BP Setup done to a point where I'm 90% happy with it, and everything has materials. It's made in a pretty expensive way for what it is, but the effect is nice:
    • Reflector Normal and AO textures (pitted/bumpy metal) can be shared among all sorts of fixtures, Vertex Alpha controls emissive contribution
    • Glass is currently using constants - can be changed to share small tiling textures, Vertex Alpha controls emissive contribution

& how the asset looks just on its own in Marmo:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth

Light Complexity view:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Quite happy with how this Underground/Tunnel Light BP turned out:

(even if I couldn't get the glass looking consistent in all the breakdown shots... at least it works as intended in-game)

Found some ref for roughly the look this kind of fixture should have from the Glass trailer:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Working on replicating a hexagonal kitchen ceiling lamp I saw recently - this is how the BPs look before all the LightFunctions are in and all the controls are hooked up properly:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Published these recent fixtures over @ ArtStation

• atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    Just wanted to say I love these breakdowns of how you are handling you light fixture setups. They are super useful, and you are getting great results!
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    atomander said:
    Just wanted to say I love these breakdowns of how you are handling you light fixture setups. They are super useful, and you are getting great results!
    Thank you :)
    It's been a fun learning process (I had no idea Blueprints were so easy to use once you start), and hopefully I can encourage people to stop just shoving a shadow-casting point light underneath every emissive prop they place :P
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really nice to see a thread on good lighting, makes a change and is quite informative to others thanks!
  • Hoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoshi polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome stuff :) I'll definitely dig into that.

Aren't light function heavy to compute? Why not using IES profiles instead?
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Hoshi said:

Both are expensive, with Light Functions coming out a little more costly, but it's also dependent on what exactly the material is doing. One benefit over IES is the fade out distance, allowing you to reduce the impact. IES lights can't fade out the IES texture, unfortunately. 

Nice to see what other people do with lighting. I set up something similar for my last project. I had to ditch Stationary lights in the BPs just because of the thin walls in between rooms/floors, causing a ton of overlapping issues. 

Not sure if you've done it, but if you have a lot of BPs, it might be worth setting up a BP Function or Class to speed up your BP creation. That way all of your BPs will have the same parameters made for you.
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    leleuxart said:
    Hoshi said:

Both are expensive, with Light Functions coming out a little more costly, but it's also dependent on what exactly the material is doing. One benefit over IES is the fade out distance, allowing you to reduce the impact. IES lights can't fade out the IES texture, unfortunately. 

Nice to see what other people do with lighting. I set up something similar for my last project. I had to ditch Stationary lights in the BPs just because of the thin walls in between rooms/floors, causing a ton of overlapping issues. 

Not sure if you've done it, but if you have a lot of BPs, it might be worth setting up a BP Function or Class to speed up your BP creation. That way all of your BPs will have the same parameters made for you.
    Hopefully soon(tm) I'll try out some more complex/unusual fixtures. Maybe some sci-fi as opposed to contemporary ones?
    Although it seems weirdly difficult to find good ref for that kind of thing.

I haven't done that yet - tbh I haven't yet gone very deep with BPs at all :P the above is the extent of my knowledge. But if I can speed up the initial setup of each one, that would be pretty great
  • MBS320
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MBS320 polycounter lvl 2
    Love the Fincher and Penny Dreadful style light compositions at the start of your thread. I tend to take reference from real world references as well while doing lighting in Unreal and have often received feedback on the lines of using more reflection or shininess for game environments to exaggerate the overall look. I was wondering, what are your thoughts on this?

I'm currently torn between following real world reference and cinematic shots from movies versus going for scenes with exaggerated reflections and shine.

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    MBS320 said:
    Love the Fincher and Penny Dreadful style light compositions at the start of your thread. I tend to take reference from real world references as well while doing lighting in Unreal and have often received feedback on the lines of using more reflection or shininess for game environments to exaggerate the overall look. I was wondering, what are your thoughts on this?

I'm currently torn between following real world reference and cinematic shots from movies versus going for scenes with exaggerated reflections and shine.

IMO a bit of exaggeration is perfectly fine and expected, just like it is in cinematography.
    Those scenes in Bond films where people sit talking around a table with a lamp? There are additional top and side lights to make the talent look their best (especially the hair).
    That ref shot of the underground tunnel lights from the Glass trailer? There are additional low-temp lights highlighting McAvoy's traps/shoulders for emphasis.
    All those hallways and corridors in Resi 7? Pretty clearly more shiny than they would be in photorealistic reality, so the specular highlights from the household light fixtures look way more interesting :)

Also worth noting that contrast is better than a global increase in shiny stuff. If there's a noticeable distinction between some non-reflective fabric (that still has good cloth material properties, e.g. fuzz) and some nearby glossy marble or something, generally that's gonna look good.
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    So, I have some time off work, and every now and then I thought why not chip away at something a bit more complex.
    So, naturally, I figured "Hey, a Jumbotron is a type of light fixture that would make an interesting Blueprint, right?"

Plan currently is:
    • Emissive-based Static Lighting w/ emissive contribution scale control
    • Toggleable "Boost" rectangle lights for each main screen
    • Spot w/ octagonal ring LF for the angled monitors near the top
    • Spot w/ LF for all the lights on the bottom rig:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Working on the spotlight rig today:

I'm changing it a little by having 3x fixtures as one mesh with one LF Spot, then just duplicating this combo inside the BP - then I can toggle on/off each group of 3. Having them all acting as 1 with 1 giant LF Spot was OK, but at certain distances from surfaces the fakery was really easy to detect. Plus, this way I won't need such giant Outer Cone angles.
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Update on the spotlight setup & LightFunction for the rig light clusters:

Obviously doing it this way means only the middle fixture has the Volumetric beam, but since the outer cone angle is fairly wide, I think the overall "look" of it will be good enough :)
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Trying to be smart about this and using nested BPs for the rig lights, but exposing control of each Child BP seems to be more difficult than expected..
    Either way, added the Cast Shadows toggle I forgot, and here's how it will look with all Rig Lights on:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Great. Upon trying to accomplish this myself, then later resorting to looking up all sorts of help threads on the UE4 forums, it looks like making a BP for my spot light clusters, then having 4 copies of that inside another BP, and being able to toggle each one in the Construction Script, is impossible. Even though this should be goddamn trivial in any engine. Fan-fucking-tastic.

EDIT: and now Emissive Static Lighting doesn't seem to want to work. I have no clue why.

--

At least I like how the 3x Spotlight cluster turned out - even with shitty VFX that looks even more compressed in this shot:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Removed the Particle as I can't get it to look right. I'm definitely no FX artist :P 
    But as far as the Rig Lights go as a standalone BP, I'm pretty happy with they work. Expensive-ish in terms of frustrum and LF, but better than having 3 actual lights to accomplish the same result.

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Added another group of these over @ ArtStation

Finally got around to a modern-but-fancy wall sconce:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Wanted to do some strip club or dive bar kind of lighting for a while, so I made a blockout and killed a few hours:

ArtStation

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Working on something with a decidedly warm tone - got inspired by one of the interior spaces in the Doom Eternal gameplay trailer actually :)

Moodboard/ref/paintover:

• FULGORE
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Back at it with re-lighting some UE Marketplace scenes. This time, something sci-fi flavoured.

Some plans painted over the original scene setup:

Plans included re-distributing some of the lighting props - and I ended up switching off the uplights on the floor - as well as area/rectangle lights for large-scale stuff, some LF Spot Lights for short-range "hotspots" to simulate light spilling from small fixtures.

Reference gathered was mostly a mix of Star Citizen and Alien Covenant:

Here's what I have so far:

• FULGORE
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    So after lots of reference-gathering, I'm combining my blueprint-making with my blockout lighting studies - making super-quick whitebox environments and also turning the light fixtures into blueprints so I can iterate this stuff faster:

Example of a BP of electrical switchgear with green illuminated buttons as a "practical", with two rect lights:

After a bit of work, placing a mix of Blueprints and hand-placed Light actors (no GI, needs baking):

• TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    Interesting thread. Keep it going.
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Progress on the "Normal" lighting scenario:

The alternate scenario will be lit with emergency lights instead of the hanging fluorescents
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    @FULGORE This thread is awesome. Keep up the good work! Some challenges you might be interested in.
    - Lighting with all static lights. No stationary lights.
    - Getting as much as you can out of minimal reflection probes.

I've found those 2 things to be the hardest to do with UE4's lighting systems and have caused me great frustration on a few projects.
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    After lots of fiddling trying to get Convolution Bloom to produce good results in the 1st lighting scenario, I gave up.
    With the emergency lighting, it's working perfectly right off the bat:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    WIPs for the different scenarios:

(DoF ended up way stronger in the HighResShot than in my Viewport for the first one)

I'm thinking if possibly going for a more "realistic" look for the fully-lit version and taking away some of the warm tinting.
  • FULGORE
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Getting back into fixture blueprints, got some new ideas about how to make 'em interesting and useful - so I'm thinking of doing some in a post-apocalyptic theme.

Have some photobashed concept WIPs:

• FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    I'm thinking that the caution tape is going to be a thin trim texture set on UV1, then if I was placing the Rect Light inside the lightbox I'd use Transmission, but for this I'll use Emissive on UV2 instead.