Home Career & Education

Recommended next steps for someone like me?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Pandan polycounter lvl 7
I just wanted to know as a recent grad of May 2017, I feel lost. I apply to almost every Junior/Associate level position I know I can do. I see work of those in similar positions, and I know I can do that stuff. I've had people tell me it takes months to get a job, I understand that. 

I'm always updating my portfolio and trying to learn new techniques and such. I spend as much time as I can on improving, but i feel like its not fast enough.

My question is, what can I do in my position to get a job doing 3D Art?

It seems like the options for entry level are very few and rare.
Half the time I'll apply to a position that was "just posted" and it'll say "You've already applied to this position"

I'm just not getting emails back, or anything. Am I being ignored?
I feel shadow-banned from the industry even though I haven't landed a job yet.

Would love some advice.

portfolio for critique i guess;
https://pandan.artstation.com/

Replies

• Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    >My question is, what can I do in my position to get a job doing 3D Art? 

At this point, probably to improve your portfolio.

Replace the grey background with black on your website. The lighting on the sofa is too dark. Replace the background on the axe with black. At your level you need to show wireframes for every project. 

You have a variety of projects (2 world 2 prop 1 char) and 3 stylized/2 kinda realistic. If you are concerned with how fast you are getting a job you need to focus on one area and make improvements there. For stylized work there's few jobs around but you can try your luck with mobile games. Or again, focus on it and ditch everything else. 

If you are applying for a job, look at what games they work on and what they might need you doing. 

If you are struggling financially you might need a part time and work on improving meanwhile. If not, focus on making a high quality asset every 3 weeks or so.

You are not banned, you just don't stand out. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You're not doing anything wrong.

But your portfolio stands to be much better.  Mine included.
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    It's tough out there, there aren't many junior positions that I'm seeing. I'm in a similar position. I guess all you can do is just keep working on your portfolio and think about what the next project is going to be to land you that illusive first job.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Yeah, just work on your portfolio. Put your stuff out there, like, everywhere online you can think of.
  • Pandan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pandan polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for your advice