Home Technical Talk

Need feedback: sculpting -> low poly game char mapping workflow

vertex
Offline / Send Message
nmuta vertex
Forgive my ignorance on this issue; I'm still learning and would like some guidance. 

My current toolset is Blender, Mudbox and Photoshop. 

I need feedback on this plan: 

1.  Model in Mudbox up to a high level like 3 or so 
2. Export to Blender and retopologize in Blender
3. After retopologizing, rig the character and adjust retopo mesh to deform properly. 
4. Import the retopo model into Mudbox 
5. Add new detail layers in Mudbox up to level 3 again or so 
6. Texture the model in Mudbox?  ( not sure if I texture it at this stage ) 
7. Make the necessary UV maps in Mudbox using retopo as base & high res as upper layer
8. Go back to Blender where I have the rigged retopo model. Add the new maps to the character

Is this right ?  Do you have a better workflow or any suggestions to fix this plan ? 
Any help would be appreciated, thanks! 

( It may be asked why I'm planning high res to retopologized and then back to high res, but I'm totally committed to learning sculpting now as a way to quickly make meshes and I don't want to make a base mesh in Blender anymore. I really love Mudbox. Yet I need to retopologize for the characters to rig and animate properly. )  

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    it doesnt matter if you need a low poly or a mid rang poly for animation ie with a smoothing algorithm on top. I'd do it like this:
    A/ sculpt the high rez in Mud box and maybe texture it.
    B/ Optimize the high poly in Mud box or another app like Mesh Lab.
    C/ Export the copy to  an app where you can retopo and efficiently make UVs (dunno if MB can do it) and check the size is what you want. If not alter the MB export settings
    D/ Bake maps.
    E/ Rig the result.
    F/ For higher poly I would recommend including a displacement map(s) to enhance the form and add bigger details.

Hope that helps
    Cheerio

• nmuta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nmuta vertex
    Thanks @kanga this is actually perfect.