Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Steam locomotive

Oncki
null
Offline / Send Message
Oncki null
Hi, I heard its a good idea to post your work in progress here:) Any form of criticism is welcome

Im making detailed model of steam locomotive for my portfolio.
Model of locomotive: TR6-39

I ve choosen this model as it is in local locomotive museum. I ve gone there and did ~100 photos and now modeling step by step all of this.
This is were I am right now

As an optimist I can say its around 1/3 of HP. Next I will make some minor details(welds) in zbrush. I still heavent decided whether to texture it as new model or rusty one that is the version I have photos of:P.Im tempted to do it but it would be tons of work when its already ambitious project for me.
Next update will probably somewhere close to full HP model or even 100% HP done.

Replies

• Oncki
    Offline / Send Message
    Oncki null

Generally done. Now I'll go through my photo gallery photo by photo correcting stuff(half of bolts missing, welds, resizing stuff) and next mirror it. Next the least fun part-->Retopo and bake. Next update will be baked model before texturing.
  • guitarchitect
    Offline / Send Message
    guitarchitect polycounter lvl 5
    Hi man! Looks pretty detailed. Are you going to add any sculpted details on top of the smoothed hi-poly? Interested in how the progress would go on. Waiting for continuing.
  • aclund3
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    This is an awesome project! Keep going at it!  Would also love to see sculpted 'usage' details, but as I'm no big zbrusher myself, I wouldn't hold it against you if you opt out of that step ;)
  • Oncki
    Offline / Send Message
    Oncki null
    Thank u very much for replies. I did not expected any:P.
    Back from  holiday I'm back to do this. I made "lower" poly model, baked and basic texturing. At this point I thought some ideas will come to my head to add some stuff. But they didintXD. I just added few not very visible welds. Im planning to make it more dirty/rusty, some normal map dents. I have to add some elements which magically disappeared when exported to substance painter.
    I have time now, I believe I will end it fast. Although my laptop is highly protesting aganist having opened high poly model in maya and big texture maps in SP at the same time(When I have to open PS too I go for a dinner).