Home Adobe Substance

Wear/Dirt using Position Map?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bitinn polycounter lvl 6
Hi,

Just wondering if Substance Painter contains a generator where Position Map is the primary input source?

I am thinking about a Dirt/Wear overlay where I would use a Position Map baked along Y axis to produce a natural transition between Wall and Floor, for example:

I want to create some procedural dirt at the bottom of the black wall, so the transition is less jarring.

As my walls and floors are modular pieces, MG Metal Edge Wear won't work in this case, because there is no curvature at border edges.

Is there a solution within SP 2017?

(I do own Substance Designer, just not terribly familiar with it.)

Replies

• hildner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hildner null
    Shure thing,

You could use the "Ground Dirt" Smart mask.

For it to work you would need to bake your position map with the right axis (for this modell y ) setting: 

• bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    Thx for the tip! I am definitely missing out by not looking at smart masks (I assume they are just a stack of built-in generator masks, I was wrong, things like MS Ground Dirt just doesn't show up in u:generator search)

What I don't understand:

- Do I have to bake position map using Y-Axis? ALL-AXIS mode seems to work fine for me (I am pretty sure if you have All-axis selected in "Mode", the "Axis" option is disregarded.)

And while working on it yesterday I come up with a different solution, not using Ground Dirt:

It was a workaround using MS Dirt + Blur Directional + SP 2017 Anchor Point feature:

Just showing it off for comparison.