Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old RAF Vickers VC-10

HolBol
vertex
Offline / Send Message
HolBol vertex
I've made a RAF Vickers VC-10. I used to see them nearly every day until they were retired from the RAF in 2011. I decided to try and make one that appears like it's been left out in the elements for a little while. Textures were painted in photoshop. Modelled in Blender, rendered in Cycles. I've learned a huge amount while making this about the PBR workflow and what I can do with it. Also it's the first time I've used IBL and my first outdoor scene. I've painted it in the scheme I remember seeing most often, and not quite the scheme they retired in.

Replies

• Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Looks nice, the fence in the background seems a bit huge to be that size from that far back though? I'd either make the fence look better or remove it personally, kind of is just taking away from the plane atm. The red parts on the plane also look a bit clean compared to the rest, since it's a very satrurdated and clean red it immediately contrasts with the green grass, making it the focal point where as I'd think you'd want the entire plane to be looked at.

In that regards, perhaps change the sky a bit so the whole plane's main shape pops out more. Currently they're both very close to being the same shade of white which isn't making the plane as interesting as it could be, although I do like the dreary sky look.... Maybe have a bit of blue in the horizon, dawn, or a bit more stormy? Just a few ideas.

overall looks good!

Are you aiming for a model that is used in a game during real-time or in a prerendered still?

• HolBol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HolBol vertex
    Looks nice, the fence in the background seems a bit huge to be that size from that far back though? I'd either make the fence look better or remove it personally, kind of is just taking away from the plane atm. The red parts on the plane also look a bit clean compared to the rest, since it's a very satrurdated and clean red it immediately contrasts with the green grass, making it the focal point where as I'd think you'd want the entire plane to be looked at.

In that regards, perhaps change the sky a bit so the whole plane's main shape pops out more. Currently they're both very close to being the same shade of white which isn't making the plane as interesting as it could be, although I do like the dreary sky look.... Maybe have a bit of blue in the horizon, dawn, or a bit more stormy? Just a few ideas.

overall looks good!

Are you aiming for a model that is used in a game during real-time or in a prerendered still?

Hey, thanks for the response. This is just a pre-rendered project, but I'd love to build a game environment based on the same idea one day. The fence is probably about a meter too high, I'll trim it down. I don't want to move it completely otherwise the plane looks like it's on some random sky runway.
    The red parts are bright, and I see what you mean about detracting from the rest- I was following this picture here for that, which was the only image of covers for this plane I could find.

With the sky, I agree it's not contrasting super much with the plane, however I don't want to go too far the other way and contrast too much- it is low-viz paint after all.

Here's the image I based a lot of it off:

The paint on this particular one is a little more blue in parts than some of my other references.

Here's a few tweaks following your critique, with the fence a more sensible height, the engine covers a little less saturated, and hopefully a little more sky contrast- is this better?

• HolBol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HolBol vertex
    I'm going to try posting this again as the last disappeared in the spam queue and never returned.

I've made some tweaks based on your feedback. The fence has been docked in height to make it a little more realistic. I've muted the colours on the engine covers (that'll have to be an artistic choice as the real engine covers I could find in pictures really are bright red). Hopefully that'll draw more attention to the rest of the plane.

As for the plane vs sky being low contrast- I wasn't sure what to do with that. I certainly want to keep it cloudy, and with low-viz paint it being low in contrast was inevitable, but I've changed out the sky texture to one a little darker to try and increase the tone difference between plane and sky. Here are my changes so far: