Home Technical Talk

Zbrush To Keyshot Bridge Workflow Question...

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BradMyers82 interpolator
I can't seem to figure this out and I'm beginning to think it might be one of the features keyshot has intentionally made annoying so people would purchase the more expensive HD version.

If you are in zbrush and send a few models over to keyshot, do some awesome stuff.  Save your keyshot scene, then close both programs down....

Then you fire up both programs and get them in the exact state you were previously, it seems to be impossible to relink the programs.  Like if you send the same exact models over to keyshot again, instead of recognizing you have the same models  as before (it normally does this if you have never closed either program in one session), it totally trashes everything you did in keyshot (material assignments, custom graphs, labels, etc.) and starts you over from square one.  

Is there a work around for this?  Its seems incredibly difficult to work on a large project if this is the case as every time you get back to work in keyshot you have to start all over again.  If you have to do a simple clay render then its no big deal, but if you are doing any real work in keyshot the keyshot bridge seems useless, unless I'm missing something here. 

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Ok, I'm gonna answer my own question here because I believe I have found the answer.

It seems there isn't any clear information that I was able to find on the subject.  I have looked in the forums here, pixologic, and keyshot along with general google searches.  

It seems once the programs are closed, the link between the two scenes is forever broken, unless you don't mind starting over again in keyshot and intend to start and finish all the work in one session.

But I did manage to find a reasonable work around...

Keyshot saves the bip file (keyshot file type) in such a way that it knows if it was created with keyshot bridge so as to lock you out of certain features.  

But, you can import these .bip files into any keyshot scene and keep the original scene (not loose all your work in that scene).

So in my example, do a bunch of work with keyshot/zbrush bridge.  Close the programs.  Then realize you want to add something to your keyshot render later on, (in my case it was better looking tires for a car).  You can open your tires in zbrush. send them to a new scene in keyshot.  Save the keyshot file as .bip called "tires".  Then open the original keyshot scene and import the tires.bip file.  Crisis averted.  

Hope this helps someone.  I found it very difficult to actually understand the difference between all the different versions of keyshot and how they locked you out of features like this.  Its also super weird that you can't load the same exact keyshot scene and zbrush scene and relink them after shutting down.  But definitely good to know!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    In case anyone is curious, this is what I was working on in keyshot...

• mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Hey thanks for the work around. I was struggling with this today and you totally saved my bacon! 
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I've met this problem too in the past. What I do is something similar, and I'd argue it's more simple and direct. Yes, unfortunately the links are broken once you close down stuff. But...if you want to make some tweaks later, why don't you just import the specific obj to that old scene you saved?

No need to import to a new scene, save, then import that scene to the original one. Just...skip all that and import the obj. 

Right? Maybe I'm missing something here...