Home Technical Talk

Maya 2017: Maya won't save my Preferences!!

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hey everyone. So I'm using Maya 2017 on Windows 10 64 bit, and for a while now I have been having trouble saving my preferences. Even my shelf items won't save. 

If I click on the auto key icon, change my Preferences/ Settings/ Animation/ Default on tangent: stepped (for example) then hit save... I get this error in the script editor...

// Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2017/scripts/startup/preferencesWnd.mel line 117: Not all preferences were saved. See Script Editor for details.

Then when I check the script editor like it says to do I get this... 

saveShelf Polygons "D ://maya/2017/prefs/shelves/shelf_Polygons";
// Error: line 1: Can't open the file: D ://maya/2017/prefs/shelves/shelf_Polygons // 
saveShelf XGen "D ://maya/2017/prefs/shelves/shelf_XGen";
// Error: line 1: Can't open the file: D ://maya/2017/prefs/shelves/shelf_XGen // 
// Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2017/scripts/startup/syncGlobalOptVars.mel line 70: Failed to save D://maya/2017/prefs/shelves/shelf_Polygons.mel.  Check write permission // 
// Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2017/scripts/startup/syncGlobalOptVars.mel line 70: Failed to save D://maya/2017/prefs/shelves/shelf_XGen.mel.  Check write permission // 
// Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2017/scripts/startup/preferencesWnd.mel line 117: Save of "D ://maya/2017/prefs/userPrefs.mel" failed // 
// Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2017/scripts/startup/preferencesWnd.mel line 117: Save of "D ://maya/2017/prefs/windowPrefs.mel" failed // 
// Warning: line 1: Save of "D ://maya/2017/prefs/pluginPrefs.mel" failed // 
// Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2017/scripts/startup/preferencesWnd.mel line 117: Not all preferences were saved. See Script Editor for details. // 

I have tried saving under File/ Save Preferences and still the same error. I have to make all these changes every time I open up Maya (even if I run as Admin) and it is getting infuriating. I can't seem to find a solution online, any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I don't know if it was this exact issue, but try changing the workspace in the top right to a new one with your name and save that, then restart and see if it keeps your settings
  • ChristianOrellana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx said:
    I don't know if it was this exact issue, but try changing the workspace in the top right to a new one with your name and save that, then restart and see if it keeps your settings
    I tried this, and no still getting those errors.
  • royrabbid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I smashed my head to sort this out. I had the same issue, this is the report I usually got from the script editor:
    saveShelf Custom "D" ://maya/2018/prefs/shelves/shelf_Custom";
    // Error: line 1: Can't open the file: "D" ://maya/2018/prefs/shelves/shelf_Custom // 
    saveShelf XGen "D" ://maya/2018/prefs/shelves/shelf_XGen";
    // Error: line 1: Can't open the file: "D" ://maya/2018/prefs/shelves/shelf_XGen // 
    // Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/startup/syncGlobalOptVars.mel line 70: Failed to save "D" ://maya/2018/prefs/shelves/shelf_Custom.mel.  Check write permission // 
    // Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/startup/syncGlobalOptVars.mel line 70: Failed to save D ://maya/2018/prefs/shelves/shelf_XGen.mel.  Check write permission // 
    // Warning: line 1: Save of "D" ://maya/2018/prefs/userPrefs.mel" failed // 
    // Warning: line 1: Save of "D" ://maya/2018/prefs/windowPrefs.mel" failed // 
    // Saving runtime commands to : "D" ://maya/2018/prefs/userRunTimeCommands.mel // 
    // Saving hotkeys to : D://maya/2018/prefs/hotkeys/userHotkeys_Maya_Default_Duplicate.mel // 
    // Warning: line 1: Save of "D" ://maya/2018/prefs/userNamedCommands.mel" failed // 
    // Warning: line 1: Save of "D" ://maya/2018/prefs/pluginPrefs.mel" failed // 
    // Warning: line 1: Not all preferences were saved. See Script Editor for details. 

I am using windows 10, and as I have two drives I decided to set my personal folders on the D drive. In there Maya nested its folder to pick up the preferences.

After various attempts to make Maya save the preferences, I realized something a bit strange about the routes list with errors.The extra slash was the problem, so I figured out something should be in the middle of them. So I just created a folder called Documents on the D drive and copied the Maya folder into it. The last thing I had to do was to re route windows document folder to that one. And VOILA. Maya started to save preferences again. So maybe this isn't your case but it can help some poor devil that has the same problem.

Hope this helps!

Cheers.

• Blindness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blindness polycounter lvl 8
    A little too late but.. for all the bugs in maya follow this tips.
    1.- start a fresh maya install put all ur preferences, scripts, shelfs..
    2.- make a backup of the (maya/year/ ) folder
    3.- when the bug error or whatever comes. quit maya.
    4.- delete the prefs folder reopen maya .
    5.- or delete the (maya/year/ ) folder and just replace it with the backup 

I had alot of headeaches for maya. I found that it never likes to save anything^^ like the workspace and for that i found a trick
    1.- modify ur UI in ur fav workspace, get notice the character pops up (*) at the end of the name means unsaved..
    2.- so change ur workspace and close maya without save (sounds crazy!)
    3.- open maya and there u go.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I hope this will get better with the new prefs system. Next Maya isnt far away.