Home Career & Education

Is it ok to put Mods/WIP stuff on your portfolio?

GarrettV36
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
GarrettV36 null
Hi all! So I have a question then I will go further in detail about that question... 

Is it ok to put Modded work (IE Skyrim mod, Starcraft 2 Mod, etc...) in a seperate section of your portfolio? And also is it ok to have a seperate section almost like a live feed of Work in Progress (WIP) Work?

So in my personal time when I am working on art (right now I have ALOT of time. Trying extremely hard to find a job in the industry.. New graduate life). I like to take breaks every now and again on go mess around with the Starcraft 2 (SC2) engine as well as the Warcraft 3 (W3) engine. Those were my first experiences with game design and 3D anything. So I like going back there and making some stuff and just having fun with it. But my FAVORITE thing to do is Set Dressing in the SC2 Editor. Just taking the assets and creating cool environments with stories behind them is honestly one of my favorite things to do. Not even just in the SC2 editor but in really any 3D package. And sometimes I create really cool stuff that I am really excited about in the SC2 editor. But I never know if I should show the work or not. If its professional to or not. So I was curious from you guys if even if I just put it as a completely seperate section of my portfolio if I put that work on there. Like under a section of Art for fun or something.

My second question is about Work in Progress (WIP) works. I know alot of people put their stuff on here (polycount) and other websites for feedback etc. But is it ok to put WIP on a seperate section of your webstie. Obviously its NOT the first thing that shows up in your works. And definitely not your main pieces of work. But just another section. Maybe to show your employers that you are attempting to make other art? I was just curious about this. I felt like maybe it would show progress for employers, your work ethic and dedication. And would be fun for any one else just wanting to check up. Or is it completely unprofessional to even put WIP work on your website.

So... Once again my two questions art.

Work in Progress (WIP) work on portfolio under a seperate section stating that it is WIP work? Is that ok or frowned upon?
Modded games (Skyrim, Starcarft 2, etc...) Is that ok under a seperate section stated that it is exactly that? Modded work. For fun work. Is that ok or frowned up?

Thanks so much for you time :smile:

Replies