Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi nade.First substance painter project

vertex
Offline / Send Message
NIKOLAPAVIC vertex

This is my first substance painter project that i am happy and excited to work hard on it and see it come close to being finished.
I never managed to finish anything like this,adding textures and everything because i always tried to make something big,so now,for once...i tried something simple and small.

Always wanted to make something that looks really futuristic and to use a very cool and glossy metal smile
The textures are 2k here which is what i plan to use,it makes the file size 1GB! xD
It has 3 775 verts which is 7 463 tris...which i guess is kind of a lot? i want to make this a portfolio piece so i am trying my best to make it look super nice.

For the modeling i used everyones favourite...blender xD and cause i went with the standard sub-d workflow i easily used the non sub-d version for the low poly,of course with adjustments to make the vert count as minimal as possible.
The concept was done by the ever so talented...me stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye
I say this in a funny way cause by my opinion having a already finished concept art makes the modeling part a lot easier,cause you dont have to think about the idea as much as you have to think about how you are going to model it.

THE CONCEPT:
The metal piece on the back is actually the safety pin,it is like that so a belt can go through it and around the rest of the nade pack.When the user wants to arm the grenade he has to put his thumb on the metal plate on the top while he is grabbing it as that will detach it from the pin and arm the grenade.When armed the user can switch the modes of the grenade by rotating the top metal cap,when both LED are there its a standard high explosive grenade,if the cap is rotated so one LED is covered its a anti personnel grenade that blasts those metal plates at the front.If both LED are coverd than its used as a breaching charge and all of the explosion is directed at the hole at the bot,like this the grenade can stick to surface for a easy door breaching.Thats why the rubber is there on the top,for a easy rotation of the top metal cap.The hinges on the back are used to open the nade up like a flower a moment before it explodes and showers the room with metal pieces.The small metal pieces on the side of the safety pin located above and below it are weights so when the nade is trown in anti-personnel mode it always rotates on its back so all of the metal pieces fly outward.

The textures are still WIP,i am still not sure about some materials used,and i still want to place a few decals on there just to make it that much better.
When i finish it i will use marmoset toolbag to properly present it on my artstation.

So what do you think? please do leave your comments and critiques on what you think about it and how could i improve it,as i do want to make this piece as good as i can.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Avoid creating your own concepts, unless you are a talented concept artist. Working from mediocre concepts is going to handicap yourself when it comes to making 3d models. Too much edge wear, the blue material looks like anodized metal, but you treat it as if it was paint with the edge wear. 
  • NIKOLAPAVIC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NIKOLAPAVIC vertex

ZacD said:
    Avoid creating your own concepts, unless you are a talented concept artist. Working from mediocre concepts is going to handicap yourself when it comes to making 3d models. 

well i do plan on becoming better at concept art and becoming a concept artist myself.And as i said in the post it makes things a lot easier when you are making a model from a concept,but whats the fun in that? xD ...i want to become a concept artist myself and i guess we all gotta start somewhere.
    ZacD said:
    Too much edge wear, the blue material looks like anodized metal, but you treat it as if it was paint with the edge wear. 
    I was thinking the same thing when i took a last look last night.I wanted to make the surface shiny and reflective,and i did use a anodized aluminium material at first but that didnt have a lot of details on it so i tried to make something of my own.i guess ill have to switch to a aluminium with a metalic paint over it.

And should i add more detail on the metalic back piece? to me it kind of seams like that part is missing some details,which is why i added dust and scratches to it.And also i will add decals and little inscriptions all over the grenade later.
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Photos doesn't work :/
  • NIKOLAPAVIC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NIKOLAPAVIC vertex
    Elithenia said:
    Photos doesn't work :/
    Fixed the images,dont know why all of a sudden only they broke.And i am curently working on improving the concept and materials,will post updates when i get the time.
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    still broken for me. Says you cannot host it at a 3rd party because of your subscription...
  • NIKOLAPAVIC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NIKOLAPAVIC vertex
    Elithenia said:
    still broken for me. Says you cannot host it at a 3rd party because of your subscription...
    Omg,yeah i see it now xD honestly dont know why that decided to happen all of a sudden..i guess ill have to find a different image hosting site.
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Elithenia said:
    Omg,yeah i see it now xD honestly dont know why that decided to happen all of a sudden..i guess ill have to find a different image hosting site.
    imgur?