Home Career & Education

Pursuing art with irrelevant degree?

node
Offline / Send Message
Savven node
Hello! So I'm currently a business major but I was originally pursuing an art degree
(put me in like 20k debt) So I left because I could no longer afford it. So although I am
working towards a business degree I am also working on my portfolio so that I could
some day pursue my passion working in the game art field. Would an art related degree
me necessary? I noticed for some graphic design jobs they require a degree but with a good
portfolio could that be bypassed? I'm going to at least try to get an associates in graphic designs. 

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    No.  Portfolio is all that matters.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Dude I don't even HAVE a degree.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    All degrees are irrelevant to art.
    Unless you plan to teach it at a university
  • JEmerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JEmerson polycounter lvl 7
    @Savven: Your degree will not help you initially in your career if game art is what you really want to do. The portfolio will come first, then the resume. However, what it can help you with is prepare for post-artist positions (e.g., management) or help you set-up in the meantime before you get in-industry. Just something to think hard on. @Gav hit pretty hard on what recruiters actually care about here. Secondly, networking can be difficult if you are in a locale that does not have a strong game art (or related) industry. Networking is where an education in art can come in handy - but it is not a guarantee (and you can network on forums like this one).

Anecdotally, I took a similar career path (Graphic Design for 1.5 years -> Bachelor's of Science in Criminal Justice -> Master's of Public Administration) and am just now returning fully to developing my art for a future (activity wise, not returning to school). While I may be later at pursuing my dream then others, I learned a great deal about myself and my interests along the way outside of game art. It wasn't perfect, but I wouldn't trade the experiences or knowledge I received.

Just some food for thought.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Your business major will probably be a fantastic asset anyways, since it will help you navigate taxes, issues related to freelancer status, and so on. All this is pretty much vital and as far as I am aware is not taught at art schools.
  • ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
    C'mon. When I was a university freshman back in '94, my major was LAW.