Home Career & Education

Australian Universities?

GGYUC
vertex
Offline / Send Message
GGYUC vertex
Hi I am an aspiring game artist/programmer (I like both, but the art part is my favourite). I have seen a lot of people on the forums from RMIT and other universities and I would like to know what your experience or opinion on different courses or universities's (or any other pathways) that you took to become a professional game artist (or developer). 

My plan is to go to RMIT and do a Bachelor of IT (games and graphics programming) or a Bachelor of Game Design. Any input is welcome.

Replies

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    Eeach course is different - my advice is to find out what technical skills you will be learning, go to graduate shows (if they have any) and/or find examples of their final year work. Is it impressive or disappointing?

I did some courses, like a viz course, which was amazing. Learnt digital and analouge sketching, rhino3D, coral draw and a lot of theory around visualisation. I then did a graphics design course - completely worthless. Totally theory, spent most of the time redesigning book covers and magazines, was never taught how to use photoshop or illustrator. 
  • GGYUC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GGYUC vertex
    @Bletzkarn
    Thanks, I have researched quite a few different places and courses and I'm attending open days as they come up. Ill definitely ask the teachers for examples of past work and ill take a look see on the internet for what I can find. I really want to learn 3D prop design and programming (in game context).
  • GGYUC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GGYUC vertex
    I did some more looking around polycount and caught wind of QANTM. Apparently its one of the better and more focused universities in Australia (and the course only takes two years as opposed to 3). If anyone has any knowledge about the RMIT course (Bachelor of IT (games and graphics or Bachelor of Design (games) or the Games programming or games design course at QANTM, Id be grateful. I also emailed RMIT for some info on past students, my google skills are failing me and can't seem to find any previous students. :(

Programming also seems to be a smarter decision than design i have heard, namely because Australia is not in the best position in the games industry
  • GGYUC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GGYUC vertex
    Making a decision to go with a computer science/ software engineering degree at Uni Melbourne/ Monash or Swinburne and use polycount to learn game design. I'll update the thread if the place I choose is terrible or good.