Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Environment Art Challenge - July & August 2017 (49)

Replies

• kwagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwagner polycounter lvl 5
    @Vneck04  :open_mouth: you got it so close to the reference scale and layoutwise, I'm jealous. I'm still having trouble with that...It looks amazing so far!
  • Vneck04
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vneck04 triangle
    @kwagner  Thanks! I had started off with a camera in 3ds Max that I matched to the photo (as closely as I could) so this let me model things to roughly the right scale. It might be a bit of a pain to go back and do now that you have everything already modelled, but if you think something is off then give it a try! :)
  • Mahelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mahelix polycounter lvl 6
    @Vneck04 Thanks ! I love the look of your scene, and those lion sculptures look great !
  • SamStark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SamStark triangle

Progress so far

Couldn't get much done, probably won't be able to finish everything since the deadline is closing, but I will work on the PiYao (lion sculpture thing), cuz it's one of the main element in the scene.

Back to normal. I would still try to finish as much as possible. 

How do you guys approach for the plants? Do you draw them and use them as image planes?
  • Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supposable Lion polycounter lvl 4
    @SamStark That night scene looks lively. For plants I usually make masked image planes.

The month is ending in days. I may need extra days into next month.
  • supersnakelx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supersnakelx polycounter lvl 7
    Nice progress! Where'd you get the exact poster?
  • kwagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SamStark  For my plants I just painted out a bunch of different types of leaves and stems and flowers and then used image planes and built up the plants from there. 
    My trees were the similar, but I used Maya's "Duplicate on object" bonus tool to put all the leaves on the branches because I'm lazy sometimes.... 

• Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @supersnakelx I found it by chance and figured out her name is Gabriela Bertante. Best high res photo I could find had a bit of graphics and text from a magazine on it and I just photoshopped that out.

@kwagner Those plants and tree are looking nice!
  • supersnakelx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Supposable Lion
    Ah, thanks! I tried to photoshop a cute girl with a similar pose as I could not find the actual model.
  • morf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morf polycounter lvl 11
    Here's where I'm at so far, pretty much need to fix everything and running out of time fast. Screengrabs from UE4.

• donnolus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    donnolus polycounter lvl 2
    @Supposable Lion
    I'm on the same boat, I'm going to have to take some extra time after the deadline for this. In my case I think I've dedicated too much time to the HP meshes. That laptop is a pain to model and I havent gotten close to the look of the concept art. I might just have to cut the laptop, suit in the pod and action figure out if I want to post something in the next week.

@kwagner

Hah I like what you did with mix and matching random plant parts, looks very good!

• Vneck04
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vneck04 triangle
     @morf Looks great! You've got a whole little village going on there! Did you make all the pieces modular with this end result in mind? I wish I had done that now so that I could have made a little village too.. Next time! 

Here is my final image, I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I learned how to make parallax materials and deferred decals from other people in the thread so it's been a good experience! I think if I could redo any of it I would make the buildings modular, so that I could re-use them easier and create a larger scene if I wanted.

I also made an animation out of the scene to get a better feel for the environment - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq3mumQYa7k

I had a lot of fun working on this, looking forward to doing another challenge soon! :) 

• supersnakelx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vneck04
     These parts could have used a little more love, they lack dimension. But that's me just being picky. Freaking amazing work!

• jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
    Holy Cow! Both of those hand painted environments look absolutely phenomenal!  I LOVE the lighting and texturing on both @morf's  and especially @Vneck04's impressive submissions!  Way to go guys!
  • morf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morf polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Vneck yours turned out amazing mate, well done. Animation looks sweet also. I didn't intent to make a village, kinda got sidetracked trying to make things modular. Wish i had stuck to the concept and have a more finished piece like yours. I'll probably try and polish it more in my spare time.

• Vneck04
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vneck04 triangle
    @supersnakelx thanks for the feedback! Yeah I think you're right, I struggled getting the normal maps to work with the decals, so they appeared flat. I'll need to try and figure this out for next time! 

@jewski-bot Thanks a lot, appreaciate it! 

@morf Thanks dude! I think having modular pieces where you can always makes sense, but if it starts to take time away from the main part of your project then maybe not so much. It looks awesome all the same though! 
  • morf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morf polycounter lvl 11
    jewski-bot thank you, your little robot turned out really cool.

vneck, yeah next time will stick to the concept. Was a good learning experience though, first time in Blender and gained more experience in UE4. Might try and sculpt the statue before deadline, yours looks awesome.
  • Quibees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quibees polycounter lvl 4
    @Vneck04 awesome work! Love lightning and vibrant colors.

I continue my throne, I think I won`t make it in time due troubles at work, but I`ll finish it anyway. While I was painting I`ve faced some problems with textures and their resolution. It was my mistake :(
     At this time I have this:

• Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    Got it done, just in time.
    (My Substance Painter file was somehow corrupted, so I lost a day of work...)
    I learned a ton from this challenge and I am suprised by my own progress and how good this actually turned out.
    I learned a lot about baking, I I used UDIMS for the first time, I basically did my first really complex model texturing and modeling wise.
    I learned a lot about Substance Painters workflow, I am finally able to control the mask builder, even if I still feel quite insecure about it but I am defently getting there.
    I also realized, that I defently have to work on time management. I redid alot of things, especially in the baking process. So yeah, alot of things I took away from this.
    I am very glad I decided toI participate here.
    Thank you also everyone here for commeting and giving tips to each other, that is very very valuable for everyone of us.

Here is my robot:

Here are some wireframes and more detail shots:

• jewski-bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
    @Quibees, your throne is looking very good and very close to complete.  It would be a shame not to finish this, so I urge you to persevere! :)

@FinnIsengardt, great work on the tribot!  I like your material breakup in that I can distinguish the parts clearly to get a sense of how this model comes together.  Very clean looking.  If I had to offer a critique, it would be on the weathering.  Everything on the red-orange parts look too uniform.  I can't remember the exact steps, but you can use a paint layer to paint out some of the excess wear and add more variation or even get rid of wear where it doesn't make sense to have it.  Either way, you should be proud of what you have accomplished and learned this challenge. 
  • kadeschui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Howdy all, just want to bring your attention to the new Challenge for September and October HERE :)

So come on over and submit some sweet entries and vote!!!1
  • Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @donnolus I see that you're modelling out high polys for buttons and the like, I'd suggest checking out Quixel's NDo software where you can just use photoshop to bake out normal and AO maps from shapes in alot less time for hard surface workflow and just having more software tools at your use. Also consider how small the laptop is in the scene; the player/viewer isn't going to notice every ridge or whether that laptop is designed practically (concept artists don't paint practical things alot of the time either), approach it more in a manner of it's general shape/silhouette and having the player/viewer buy into the idea that it's a laptop. I think your scene is looking close to what's presented in the concept. :) I think you can make it!

I sculpted folds into that duct pipe thingy with Zbrush and fixed up the camera's angle and moved things a bit to match the concept's perspective more. I'm thinking for the spacesuit I'll make a masked planar mesh.
  • SamStark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SamStark triangle

My Progress

I'll definitely try to finish more tomorrow which is the last day. If I couldn't get the plants going on, I'll definitely do at least a speed tree for the background. So glad I was able to finish the statue, it's not great, but it's a quick sculpt in 3 hours ( I'm not that experience in sculpting). It's retopologized to 3k verts with normal map baked.

A Night scene as usual.

• morf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morf polycounter lvl 11
    Added a few things here and there, nothing major. Never got a chance to do statue, save that for another day :)

• SamStark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SamStark triangle

In the very last minute!

It's not fully finish, but it's pretty close. I modified the woods texture, been wanted to do that for a long time ever since I got feedback. There's totally 1.5 M verts for the scene (excluding the buildings I duplicated across to get the shadows, and the LOD 0 speedtree).
    Night Scene as usual.

A closer look on the sculpture. It's not perfect, I saw a lot of better ones here. But this is my first sculpt from scratch sculpture with ZBrush, and I definitely fell in love with it, looking forward to do more sculpting in the future.
    BTW, these are all rendered in Unity. Any Unity experts here can tell me how can I unlock the full potential of Unity? I already crank up pretty much everything in the quality settings, and up all the anistro for my texture maps.

I've actually learn a lot in this challenge, thank you all for the feedback and critique (special thanks to my friends and lecturer as well). This is indeed a challenge for me because there's just so much new areas here in this environment for me.
  • Zyhael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyhael polycounter lvl 6
    Dang it, I've been busy with other stuff and was unable to finish it. Sad.. Was also having a hard time texturing, it's my one weakness..

I will still finish this though. Looking forward to the next challenge.
  • kwagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had some family problems pop up this last week so I didn't get to touch my work and unfortunately didn't finish in time. I think all I did since my last post was modeled and textured the light post. Very discouraged by how I can't get mine to line up with the concept correctly. Nevertheless I will keep trying and this environment will get finished!

Still amazed that I even managed part of a stylized environment for my first time ever! 

I am totally in LOVE with VNeck04's though <3 It's so amazing.

• SamStark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SamStark triangle
    kwagner said:
    I had some family problems pop up this last week so I didn't get to touch my work and unfortunately didn't finish in time. I think all I did since my last post was modeled and textured the light post. Very discouraged by how I can't get mine to line up with the concept correctly. Nevertheless I will keep trying and this environment will get finished!
    That's sad @kwagner , I hope everything is all right. I thought yours looks amazing with the lightning you got. I look forward seeing your final!

Supposable Lion said:

I sculpted folds into that duct pipe thingy with Zbrush and fixed up the camera's angle and moved things a bit to match the concept's perspective more. I'm thinking for the spacesuit I'll make a masked planar mesh.
    Hey @Supposable Lion , nice progress! I've notice you haven't fix this part of the bed. It's too sharp and sticks out too much in compare to the whole bed.

Overall your scene still looks a bit dull and robotic. I know you still have stuff to add, but you can consider giving more textures/ nosie like what you did with the floors and walls to that blue area I marked. It's all right to go outside of the concept art ;)
  • supersnakelx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a few textures to finish here and there but this is close to the final result. All critics are welcome, this will end up in my portfolio as my first UE4 project  :)

Oh and I will add an actual video to the laptop screen.

• kadeschui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Just letting everyone know the new Challenge (50) is up !! LINK
  • Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had to put this project to the side for a couple of weeks to work on the artstation challenge. I made a few changes from the concept, here's what I got:

and thanks @SamStark for your feedback. :)
  • Quibees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quibees polycounter lvl 4
     better late than never, I did bad, but next time I`ll do my best :( 
  • NBerbatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBerbatov polycounter lvl 6
    Hi :) I was busy a lot last months and finally before end of this year I finished the Robot. 
     I did the modeling in 3ds max , baking and texturing in Substance Painter. Rendering in Marmoset Toolbag.

High poly render.

I wish all Happy New Year  :)
  • kwagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is long since overdue, but I finally finished the environment....

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Y3mnK