Home Technical Talk

Texturing workflow from high-res to low in Zbrush

Alexandros
null
Hi there,
My first post here, I was hoping if someone could point me at the right direction. First things first, I have been using Zbrush for quite some time now, trying to build things, small objects, cups, low poly swords. My goal though is to become good at creating characters with the right proportions, realistic texturing and everything that goes with it. My problem is this, I managed to create a character through dynamesh and i have also poly-painted it. The whole character is about 4.5 million polygons and I am at the beginning of its re-topology . Due to the enormity of the program i haven't been able to master all of its aspects yet.

How am I going to transfer the detail to its low-poly version, hopefully around 20-25 thousand polys by my estimation? Also bake the texture, normal map and displacement map with all the detail from the poly-paint i have given it in the high-poly version?

I was planning on going into Blender and creating the uv's for the low-poly version there but I have no idea how am I going to make the high-poly match the low-poly. Hope I didn't confuse anyone!

Thanks in advance for your help

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    What you need to do is to stop using Zbrush for a while, and spend around 2 to 3 months learning good old modeling techniques in the program of your choice (in your case that seems to be Blender). That might sound counter-intuitive, but basically the sculpting and polypainting is by far the easiest and fastest part of the pipeline. At this stage you are about 25% done.

So as said the remaining 75% (which will require you to learn how to build a proper low, UVs, and baking - not even talking about assigning a skeleton) will take you about 2 months to study to get a good feel for it.

Get started now, and good luck !