Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Attack Combo - Feedback

node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
rshardjo node
Hi everyone, totally new to this forum! Nice to meet everyone!
DId a first attempt on an attack combo animation in the link below. Any feedback is welcomed (:

Cheers!

Replies

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Cool. First note is timing. A lot if it even feels quite even, I would try to vary it up so there are fast, slow and medium actions. Could even build in intensity and gradually make the actions faster. See what works.
  • Ed_0010
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ed_0010 polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome shot @rshardjo, I agree with @AGoodFella the speed of the attack looks even and maybe it just me but the character looks a little too light on his feet. I love the chain at the end! how did you do that? 
  • LloydHallam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LloydHallam polycounter lvl 8
    You want longer anticipation before the swings, the swings themselves should be quite fast, and there needs to be a significant amount of follow through after each swing to give the axe a weightier feeling, lead that into the next anticipation, and you'll have a nicely flowing combo. Focus on the characters feet as well, he needs to lift them and step into each attack, right now it looks like his feet are just rooted to the floor.

Rather than a jumping attack at the end, I'd suggest a wide downward swing, similar to how a lumberjack would cut a log. Jumping attacks with a weapon that large would require a lot of effort.

Like AGoodFella mentioned, it all comes down to your timing.

Despite that, great start! Keep it up!

• rshardjo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rshardjo node
    Thanks guys for the feedback! definitely see your points! back to grinding! :D thank you!

@Ed_0010 i did the chain with this instance plugin : https://github.com/mmerchante/instanceAlongCurve
    and did some good ol' fashion animation on the curve. (;
  • cambamkaboom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cambamkaboom polycounter lvl 7
    rshardjo 
    nice animation. i like it overall. I think the follow-through after the 1st strike pose can be pushed a bit more, and maybe the ax toss as well. 

comparing the follow-through from the 1st strike to the follow-through of the 2nd strike, the weight seems to be pretty light in the 1st follow-through compared to the 2nd.

also, how did you animate the geo of that rig/ax? were there controls built into it?