Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

John's 3D environment/prop art improvement thread

Hey, all,

I'm wondering if I could get some feedback on what I have so far of my 3D environment/prop art portfolio. Obviously there's always more one can do, but I'd like a general idea (from people who aren't my friends and thus biased in favor of me) of whether it's worth it for me to be applying to jobs at my current skill level, or I'm just not good enough yet. I'm not desperate, since I do have work in an unrelated field now, but I'd like to get into the game industry as soon as I can. I'm not picky about which kind of company I work for - in-person, remote, serious games, indie, casual, small studio, large studio, I'm young and single so that doesn't matter to me for now.

Alternately, is there a better way I could be showing off what I can do to maximize the chances of getting work in the field - whether that be through rendering, selection of pieces, arrangement of pieces into scenes, or how I market myself? Is there a more specific niche I could be going for that I might not be aware of? I appreciate any advice you guys can give.

And one more thing: this was all done in Maya and rendered in Unity. Would it be worth it for me to learn something called "ZBrush" - is that a common requirement for environment/prop art jobs, or is it more of a character art thing? What about Blender?

Here's a link to my portfolio: http://johndavisdigitalart.com

And a few screenshots:

Grimy sink:

AK-103 assault rifle:

Street scene with early-'90s Toyota Camry, townhouses, and parking meter: