Home Technical Talk

Beginner: very simple software

DynV
null
Offline / Send Message
DynV null
Hello,

I'll explain what's my goal in another paragraph but I'll start by getting to the point. I want to see an overview of my world quickly. I was going to use a 2D vectorial software (Inkscape) to make a bird's-eye view of the world but then I thought there might be a--very--simple software, basically a 2D vectorial drawing with a Z-axis value for each 2D form; positives for building or the like, negatives for pools or something similar. There might be options to make polygon shapes like for a pyramid or rounded shapes like for a hill or lake (negative).

So I'm not an artist, neither visual nor story-wise, and I don't plan to make a complicated game. I want to do a simple 3D version of a text-game; ex: find a lost dog, bring something to a friend that left without indication where (of course s/he would have no access to a communication method like a cell phone; s/he went to the mall or to a friend, etc.) ; these were purely examples and there's a decent chance I wouldn't implement such quest. Making a VRML world or game has interested me for quite a while, I started to learn about it, but briefly. I know X3D is it's (spiritual?) successor but I'm not sure if it would be a good avenue. What interest me about VRML is the level of detail, one can set different textures for different distance from the viewer/player; ie: a 25 Kb jpg from far away, 100 Kb jpg for mid-way and 750 Kb png for close-by. To make it simple, both models and textures, I'm thinking of making robots in a futuristic world looking like something from Tron. The game would be in a residential district and it would be surrounded by others: industrial, commercial, etc.

Thank you kindly for helping with my 1st paragraph

Replies