Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Substance Designer] Second Cliff material attempt

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
Hi!
More than one year after I made a seaside cliff material, I decided to make another one. Maybe a bit simpler this one. What do you guys think of it? Any advice or critique to make it better? Thank you very much!

Replies

• Shirk
    Offline / Send Message
    Shirk greentooth
    It doesnt really come off as rock, or a cliff to me. I think its too variant, with not enough shape or form. Its very jagged, but not a natural looking jagged. The colour isnt bad, but I think it has too much contrast in it for the shape its giving. I would also suggest removing the dirt at the top since it detracts from the overall look more than it adds. 
  • Brandross
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandross polycounter lvl 2
    The color looks pretty nice, but the texture almost makes the cliff look as though it was carved out of wood.  Not quite what I would think of as a sea cliff, but without too much work you could probably re-purpose it as a petrified wood, or use it as a material in a fantasy scene.
  • DanielR17
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you Shirk and Brandross! I see what you mean. I'll try to find a better direction in order to give it the feeling of a cliff. I'll keep this thread updated.