Home Career & Education

Market for low poly style

kolx
null
Offline / Send Message
kolx null
Could someone shed some light on a topic I had in mind? Is there a big market for this low poly art style that does not rely on any HD models for textures?

[ duplicate account banned -mod ]

Replies

• Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    There is a market for it, but consumers looking for these type of assets are very price sensitive. Models in a specific style are also going to do better if you have a lot of connected assets. For example, selling a stylized... hmm... a stylized set of combs is not going to be easy if you're not also offering up a whole barbershop's worth of assets to go with them
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    well check this out> https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=relevance/query=low&poly

The main thing here is to make a set of something, not just one piece. For instance, you could make a low poly set of tanks or medieval houses with lods.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've learned a lot about pricing assets and in the future, I would price all of my assets much higher.  Something I would normally sell for $20, I would now set the price to $40.  Why?

I made 16 asset packages for the Unity asset store.  I intentionally made some of them...uh...crap.  I was experimenting with min-maxing my labour vs. profit.  Cheap crap for $5.  One package would sell about 3 copies a month for $5.  Then, I got the same package into one of the asset store sales at 50% off.  It sold 83 copies in two weeks.  Now, is there any real difference between $5 and $2.50 for someone making a game?  No.  The psychological effects of seeing something on SALE is very real.  It also made me realize that people who buy assets are CONSUMERS not creators.  Sales also had no impact on my regular monthly sales, it was just bonus money.

So, I plan to set my initial price to at least DOUBLE what I really value the asset package.  The goal will be to get the package into as many SALES as possible and make the SALE price the real price. 

Low poly assets sell well, but I would make sure they have some shaders with appealing lighting.  I would include a complete scene using all of the models in the package.  You will also get one question frequently "How does it perform on mobile?"  If you can profile on both iOS and Android devices and show the numbers, you can avoid a lot of unprofitable discussions.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    RyanB said:
    I've learned a lot about pricing assets and in the future, I would price all of my assets much higher.  Something I would normally sell for $20, I would now set the price to $40.  Why?

I made 16 asset packages for the Unity asset store.  I intentionally made some of them...uh...crap.  I was experimenting with min-maxing my labour vs. profit.  Cheap crap for $5.  One package would sell about 3 copies a month for $5.  Then, I got the same package into one of the asset store sales at 50% off.  It sold 83 copies in two weeks.  Now, is there any real difference between $5 and $2.50 for someone making a game?  No.  The psychological effects of seeing something on SALE is very real.  It also made me realize that people who buy assets are CONSUMERS not creators.  Sales also had no impact on my regular monthly sales, it was just bonus money.

So, I plan to set my initial price to at least DOUBLE what I really value the asset package.  The goal will be to get the package into as many SALES as possible and make the SALE price the real price. 

Low poly assets sell well, but I would make sure they have some shaders with appealing lighting.  I would include a complete scene using all of the models in the package.  You will also get one question frequently "How does it perform on mobile?"  If you can profile on both iOS and Android devices and show the numbers, you can avoid a lot of unprofitable discussions.
    It seems like sound logic, but I think it would only really apply to larger marketplaces like Unity or Unreal. And I have had similar experiences on the Unreal marketplace.
    But with my Gumroad assets, it doesn't seem to work the same way. Whenever I share discount codes with my followers, it never really seems to have any large effect on my sales.
    I don't think it's just the sale price, but also all of the extra publicity assets are given on those marketplaces when put on sale.
    Discount or no, I think being given a front-page spot would have a similar effect.

The idea also falls in line with how Steam sales are perceived; people see large discounts on games, and buy them even if they don't intend to play them anytime soon, just because they might play them in the future and want the great price.