Home Technical Talk

3ds max particle question

MikeG
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
MikeG polycounter lvl 4
Hi all,

I am not terribly experienced in the world of particles in 3ds max but I have to create a quick effect for a short pre rendered intro for a client.

The idea is for a statue to slowly rise out of sand with the problem being I don't exactly know which is the best way to go about having it so the sand reacts to the model of the statue in a realistic way.

This isnt a very high end thing so something fairly basic would do - there must be a simple way of doing it using Space warps and forces etc.

Would appreciate any help on this.

cheers
M

Replies

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Ideally you would use any of these plugins: PhoenixFD/FumeFX/TP/Krakatoa and post compositing of real-world matted footage for this effect but, you can get it done using ParticleFlow/Mparticles. It's a few years since I've done any particle work so you'd have to research the basics/search for tuts. Particle flow is pretty easy to get the hang of and can give decent results for simple sims like this. The polish is in the post work. :)

The quickest way would be to do it in After Effects using its particle system and stock alpha-matte footage of smoke or similar.