Home Career & Education

8 Tips for highly Effective Character Artists Lookin' to Get A Job

Gav
quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Gav quad damage
Hey all,

I recent went on a Twitter rant about some common issues I see in portfolios in general, and candidates for my team.  I've done similar things in the past, though this is especially towards entry level character artists.  Feel free to add or discuss, I am by no means the authority but am a hiring manager, review portfolios annually, and have been "pro" for 15+ years.

1/8 Post a link to your portfolio in your job application. No portfolio = no job.

2/8 No game art in your portfolio is an instant pass for me. Even if you’re the best sculptor ever, that’s only 33% of the job.

3/8 For the love of god, no demo reels for character artists. 80% of the time is a model showing weird angles and slowly rotating to dubstep

4/8 Seriously, no demo reel. Take multiple shots of your character in nice, then neutral lighting, with a model/material breakdown.

5/8 Less is more. Learn to self-edit and be consistent with the type of work you are showing. 3 good characters are better than 8 okay ones.

6/8 Show me what you got. Art first and second. Resume third. No one needs to know what your hobbies are, they’re irrelevant to the job.

7/8 Research the job you are applying for. Make sure your portfolio contains work relevant to the position.

8/8 Use Artstation to host your portfolio. It’s cheap, standardized, widely common in the industry, searchable, clean, and easy to use.

If you're a student and have been instructed to this (reel, Wix website, quantity over quality, etc.)  - feel free to have instructors contact me.  Obviously, if you are an instructor - I'd love to chat.

Gav

Replies