Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Making Base Mesh - Anatomy Critiques

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
Working on a male base mesh for future projects and decided to post shots of the progress for critiques.  The torso is pretty much blocked out and the arms are still a work in progress. 

Replies

• Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    Update #2  - Going to work on the forearms and hands next.  Looking for critiques on the torso. 

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Looks like a brilliant start! If I had to niypick, then maybe where the bicept connects to the forearm there might be more of an indent. Apart from that everything looks super.
  • Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    @kanga  Thanks!  I went back to the forearms and tried to shape out the muscles and hopefully that'll make the bicep look like it's more connected deeper. 

I also played around with the neck muscles and collar bone a bit. Started to block out the hands last night. 

• jacopoS
    Offline / Send Message
    jacopoS polycounter
    Hi, I think the main volumes look pretty solid so far. So, good job on that! :)
    I have one tip for you as you work on the chest: keep track of the volume of the rib cage. Overall, that is roughly shaped like a bell with a missing chunk on the front bottom area. The top section of the rib cage should be roughly as whide as the neck.
    The reason why that's important is because most of the surface that we see under the armpits is directly related to that rib cage volume.
    Right now, it looks like you're missing the separation between the lats and the chest. That could potentially be almost as deep as the rib cage itself!
    This image should help you visualize the stuff I've mentioned above.

Also, take a look at this comment I gave to another user just a few days ago about the scapulas: http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2557002#Comment_2557002
    I think you could benefit from that as well.

I'll keep an eye on this! :)
  • Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    @jacopoS  Thank you for taking the time to swing by!  I will def revisit these areas tonight. I've been having a lot of trouble with the armpit area due to having the arm at an "A" pose. 
  • Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    I pulled the lats back and tried tucking the rib cage in a little. Also added hints of the serratus anterior. Increased the neck size to try and match where it would connect with the rib cage. Revisited the back and made some changes. 

• Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    Started blocking out the legs.  After look at more references, I'll have to go back and fix the serratus anterior muscles. The forearms are looking possibly too long.  The hands also look a little funky.     Would love to get some critiques and draw overs!  

• Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    Scrapped the last sculpt and started fresh. Still working down the legs and need to fix the wrist/hands. 

• Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    Little bit more work. 

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Could you post something with less prospective/angle distortion ?
  • Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    Last one was in Marmoset. What field of view would you recommend?

• Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    Dropped the field of view from 45 to 30. Not sure if it helps. 

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a bit better
    I can give you a few suggestion base on what you have currently :
    - Arm  are a big too long 
    -Torso [front view ] is currently pretty much the same width , you could fix that by giving him a proper waist wider lats so you have wide narrow wide [lats, waist, flank pad]
    -You could give him adductors
    -Square his butt also build inside part
    I suggest you clearly define where you bony landmarks are , that will help with muscle placement for exmaple scapula is lost as well as iliac  crest

• Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you!  I'll go back and rework these areas. As for the arms, I thought they were looking really long, but couldn't figure out if maybe the wrist/forearms needed to be shorter. 
  • Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    - Shorten the forearms
    - I adjusted the torso and added a little bit of volume to the Serratus anterior and adjusted the waist. Added volume to the lats. 
    - Added volume to the adductors
    - Redefined the illiac crest landmark and adjusted the butt. 
    - Redefined the scapula landmark. 
    - Added in the Soleus muscles and redefined the calf and tendons. 

Love the feedback!  I still need to fix the arms, hands, and feet.   

Would love to hear more feedback Carvuliero! 

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    I did few thing but not sure if it going to be of any use , first you have to think about is he going to keep his gesture and is he going to be thick in the torso ,over all brute like  , maybe you should post some of your reference material too
    Other then that in this pose scapula should be rotated lateral some , deltoid could be longer . pectoralis is a bit floating push bottom origin close to the rib cage [check right image] , longer feet , calf muscle have contrast line reverse medial part is lower same with with malleolus but lateral is lower , you have to define end of the clavicle and acromion process first to be able to fix shoulder area[side view] , check your reference for high points on the leg's profile in side view so you can correct S shape rhythm of the leg , did few things on head and neck but that could be irreverent if you decide to keep old gesture
    I suggest you located bony landmarks both on your sculpt and reference so you have easier time fixing possible problems -> 5 min paint over in photoshop could save you hours down the road
  • Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome Feedback!  I completely agree that I need to start with bony landmarks. Just the last revision alone made me realize that there are plenty of landmarks I didn't take in consideration.  

This project started as a head sculpt one night and I decided to give him a body, which I think is why I jumped the gun and didn't plan things out. I've been using mainly a mixture of 3d scans, anatomy pics, and ecorche. 

I'll be plowing through these changes this week and just want to say thank you for the critiques!. 
  • Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    Went ahead and changed the gesture and started over on the muscles/boney landmarks.  Still working on it, but I figured I'd post an update tonight.  

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have hard time using your references and comparing them to your model try to convert them in to silhouettes so you only see only big picture you can do the same in zbrush by hitting 'V' also you can pick a point [preferably bony landmark] and compare all the other points against it [so you have a accurate relations]using simple vertical line in zbrush mask tractable can do the same ,another thing you can use is rhythm of narrow and wide part of the body you can pretty much find it everywhere[or high and lows what ever you want to call it] .I suggest you learn how to simplify human body using simple straight line or combination of such[check second image] its much easier to remember 3 lines then complex curve [As you can see you can simplify front of the leg as 3 similar pair of line in different relations same for back of the leg]
    As of now you have central area [his torso] in shape of a rectangle and usually is hourglass type shape both for male and female , male top heavy .Hopefully images below is explain the rest

• Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    Ty again for the feedback!  I'll go back and work through these changes and try to look at the silhouettes/gestures again.  I really like the Rythmn of wide and narrow and the vertical line techniques. 
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Great thread. Just some nit picking: The neck at the backview appears to slope in a little too much at the base. No idea if that is correct but it just looks strange to me. The profile of the face looks great but the front view doesnt appear to match, it looks a little odd by comparison. The eyes appear large and the jaw is a bit thin. The age of the face seems a little old for a generic piece, perhaps too much character.  Maybe take a peek at Petroc's Super Average Man tool in zBrush. The profile view of the figure looks really well balanced and natural.

Real nice work, hats off!
    Subscribed.
  • Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    Thx for the feedback Kanga!  I def agree the neck/jaw/trap areas need some fixing. I plan on fixing the head's front view proportions also. 

The head was originally a nightly sculpt session that I really liked, so I decided to give him a body, but I think when I get ready to finalize the "Generic" version, I'll try to smooth out the features for a more neutral point. 

• Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    It's been a pretty busy month for me, but I figured I'd post some updates on the study. There's still a lot I need to fix, but here's an update. 

• bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hey @Rsylke, nice progress so far. Here are a couple critiques..
    The angle of the pectoralis major from the profile view is off, it looks a little too puffy. (see reference below)
    The lateral end of the clavicle is much too bumpy. Look for references of the Acromio-Clavicular joint.
    And looks like your feet could use a little loving. Make sure to always keep up some quality scan reference. Cheers!

• Rsylke
    Offline / Send Message
    Rsylke polycounter lvl 5
    Hey! thanks for the feed back.  I'll def take a look at the pecs and clavicle. The feet haven't been touched yet (going to tackle those soon)