Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First time ZBrush hard surface sculpting - help needed

cyan3d
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
cyan3d null
Hello, I'm a 3D artist. Recently I've started using ZBrush. I chose an antique bowl to model and sculpt. I modeled in Maya and sculpted so far in ZBrush.

Can you please tell me where I can find good references to sculpt good details on this kind of objects? Searched through the internet, didn't find anything on sculpting edge, wear, damage details. So I added some randomly. If any tutorial about sculpting edge damage, wear, details etc please give me the link.

I added my WIP screenshot, please make some critics about the shape, form and details I've added. What's wrong and what will make it better. Thanks

Replies

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    There's not really a "how to" on realistic detail. Its mainly observation, and building that memory library through experience. 
    I'd say choose a bowl and model it to the reference . Quick pinterest search gave me a bowl like this. 

To me the bowl doesnt have as many Tarnishes(correct word?) as yours does, and the   embossed decals on the side dont come out near as far. 
  • cyan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyan3d null
    Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I will follow what you said :smile:
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    what I would do is start with something simple like bricks. find some nice close-up references and try sculpting some bricks. 

Once you're more familiar with using zbrush adn you've checked the official tutorials, have a look at how other artists are using their brushes 9 times out of 10, they're all using similar brushes to create brick/stones (trim brushes etc.) they'll also be making the most of alphas etc to help put puck marks and stuff for the larger detail. 

You will realize too, that they wont usually add TOO much small details, as they will let the texturing process cover that. 

So have a good look at artstation and polycount and maybe gumroad for artists who are giving away libraries of alphas/stencils/smart materials and experiment with them.

these are cool start: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9kwVo