Home Career & Education

Lawyer Reccomendations?

demsdabreaks
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
demsdabreaks polycounter lvl 4
Hey all, looking for legal advice and was wondering if there was a trusted lawyer you guys all use?

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    We'll be able to help moree if you can specify what kind of legal advice you're seeking.
  • JEmerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JEmerson polycounter lvl 7
    This cannot be answered without knowing more. For instance, are you looking for a litigator, for someone who typically deals in probate, real estate, criminal, etc . . .? Also it will depend (heavily) on where you are located as the attorney must be licensed to practice there. Furthermore, be prepared to pay for legal advice (in case you had not thought about this). No respectable attorney will give you more than 15-30 minutes of free time (simply to get a general grasp of your case and either accept the case or refer you to someone if necessary). There should be a network of attorneys (local Bar Association) that can help refer you to an attorney specializing in your needed area. Finally, be careful what you post regarding the matter as it could be potentially come out during discovery (assuming it is an adversarial action and not something more simple like a Last Will & Testament).

Not all attorneys are created equal, and not all attorneys can help you in your area of need. The law is a vast beast requiring years of study and expertise gained through specialization in types of law.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney and am not giving legal advice.

• demsdabreaks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demsdabreaks polycounter lvl 4
    @Brian "Panda" Choi
    @Sigmafie

I'm actually looking for someone who is knowledgeable in our field, worked with freelancers, and can give advice on legal contracts and the such. Just a quick scan over a contract in terms of looking for loopholes and the like. I only ask because I assumed our community would have access to a pool of lawyers that people kind of recommend who are familiar with our line of work.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Ahh, that helps specify it.

• laforced
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laforced polycounter lvl 2
    Hussain, Metma & Ali best in Mosul!
  • JEmerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JEmerson polycounter lvl 7
    @Brian "Panda" Choi
    @Sigmafie

I'm actually looking for someone who is knowledgeable in our field, worked with freelancers, and can give advice on legal contracts and the such. Just a quick scan over a contract in terms of looking for loopholes and the like. I only ask because I assumed our community would have access to a pool of lawyers that people kind of recommend who are familiar with our line of work.

I see. Well I could introduce you to an attorney where I am (Kansas) who is licensed in California as well and has handled creative contracts before. I don't know what his rates are though off the top of my head. PM me if that sounds fine and you would like to follow up. No guarantee he can/will help though.