Home Technical Talk

[Maya rigging/animation] Bones not displayed as following IK handle in viewport

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
NiklasT polycounter lvl 7

Hello everyone, I have a bit of an annoyance when animating, I can't see what happens when I move the body of a character with IK arms/legs. 

Basically what happens is that my bone hierarchy is not updated properly in the viewport when connected to an IK handle. If I key it and scroll the time slider it works, but not when I am moving in realtime.

When I move the IK handle it displays the bones following it correctly, but when I move a bone which is above the IK handle-bones then the bones just follow statically as they are, it isn't until I update the viewport in one way or another that they snap back and shows the actual position.

I built a simple case as you can see, consisting of 4 joints: root, hip, knee and foot. First image is with no movement, in the second picture I have moved the root joint down slightly. As you can see the IK handle hasn't been moved and yet the leg doesn't follow it. In the third picture you can see how it ACTUALLY looks after I have updated the view by moving the IK handle just so slightly.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3 

I have been checking different Maya settings, restarting Maya, restarting computer and updating graphics drivers, to no avail. Any ideas?