Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Low poly short film

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Cglacks triangle
Hey everyone! This will be my first post, so if I've made any errors let me know. I recently finished this short film after a lengthy production of 2 years! I wanted to spread it around a bit to try and get some recognition and feedback after all that hard work. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I settled for "better done than perfect". Now that it's complete I've submitted it to a well known animation festival in my region, fingers crossed :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzNGvUtw12c&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    I like it man. I vaguely get the significance of the final scene and how it relates to the importance of the basket to the girl, I think it could use a little more clarification, the relationship between the girl and the grave(?) markers, her parents? her own? siblings?

good luck with the festival!
  • Cglacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglacks triangle
    Thanks Hito, I have to admit the story was certainly the weakest part of this project for me. I started with a very simple idea without much story at all, and after realising that I had put a lot of work into the film I thought it might as well have a story. I think for my next project I'll nail down the story/script well in advance to prevent issues like this.
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    very ambitious project Cglacks! well done and congratulations, did you made all but the music? :O good luck in the festival :)
    loved that water
  • Cglacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglacks triangle
    Everything but the music, yes! It was a lot of work haha, the rigging and stuff I used the very handy addons built into blender which made it much easier for me. The water was very tricky and required a lot of development. It's essentially a flat plane with multiple animated textures, both hand made and procedural, and then a wave modifier to create a water like simulation. To top it of there's a bit of glossiness to get soft reflections in it as well.