Home Adobe Substance

Is my workflow for SD to fbx/Unity5 correct?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
I import a mesh, it is about 10 different materials. I make a graph for each material. when ready I export output as bitmap for each material. now I have 40 bitmaps, 10 diffuse, 10 normal, 10 rough, 10 metal. I have to spend 1 day layering the bitmaps in the correct order in Gimp. the final game ready mesh will only have 1 material, so having to stitch all of these together is hard work, even Blender doesnt have this problem. Why cant SD export all the materials into the 4 same bitmap/bakes?

Replies

• rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    Why does your object have 10 materials in the first place? Typically the model I load into substance is the same model from my unity assets folder. Also, don't forget that you can load the substances directly into unity and skip exporting all together.
  • oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    Well, I will have maybe 2-3 models when making the texture, first one is a basic model with lots of different materials, second one is similar but high poly, the final game ready one is a single material using the uv maps produced in from SD. If I didnt have that version with several textured attached to it and only used the bake from a high poly, I feel I would loose detail etc. (I would like to add, I know nothing about 3d design, and I will take any advice on this forum as gospel. the only reason why I didnt come to this forum sooner was because I thought it was only for proper 3d artists, and I was too ashamed to ask questions here!) with the unity bit, yeah, I noticed that Substance material thing and its pretty damn cool. however Im trying to learn how to produce textures for game models art, so im trying to do all the hard stuff.