Home Technical Talk

Question about browser viewer

Cuenca08
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Cuenca08 null
Hello, i am barely new here in polycount and i don't know if this is the better place to ask that. 
I am an amateur 3d modeler (sorry if my english is bad) and i get my first 3d job.
They ask me to do something like that: https://www.vans.com/customizer.slip-on-classic.html?recipe=006 (but not with soes).

I can do the model but i don't know anything about what kind of format use, if i have to do several models with different textures or they can change the textures with the programm or if it can be done with some programm.

I would thank any help that any of you can bring me and, if this is not the right place to ask it please tell me so.

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    If something is unclear then surely you should ask them for more details on what to do?
    What are your responsibilities, exactly? When you say "they asked me to do something like that", do you mean make only the models or do the whole 3D widget?
    If it's the latter then that would involve web development and if you've never done that before it can get quite complex.

If you look at the source of that 3D widget, they're using three.js. It's a javascript library that facilitates adding 3D functionality to a webpage.
    It allows you to load models like in .OBJ or .DAE and add them to a virtual scene.
    Once the model is loaded you can apply materials and textures to it, and make it interactive in some ways (check the three.js examples).

Like in the reference website you posted, you could separate the shoe or whatever in multiple mesh objects (one mesh for each part), and apply a different material per shoe part so you can pick individual colours for each part.
    Internally, these user-picked colours are used as base colours of the materials so that they can be multiplied with the fabric texture that works as a "detail texture".

--- If you have to do the whole 3D widget then maybe it'd be easier to just use Unity or Godot and publish for web \ HTML5.
  • Cuenca08
    Offline / Send Message
    Cuenca08 null
    First of all, thanks for the answer and your help.

I am supose to do the models and textures and they use it on the 3d widget.
    I didn't know how it works so i was thinking if i had to do something different than export it on .obj

Thank you very much for the answer RN
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Just to be clear, [in my opinion] it's their job to tell you what model formats that they want and any other technical aspects, like separating the objects as different meshes. Essentially, what kind of thing you should deliver to them.

If they didn't tell you, you can always politely ask. Here's a list of questions to ask your client:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Freelance#Questions_for_the_Client
  • Cuenca08
    Offline / Send Message
    Cuenca08 null
    Thank you very much for the info it was very usefull.
    I'll ask them some of that questions.