Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

I'd like to hear your opinion on this piece

ColorMusic
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ColorMusic vertex
Hi everybody!
My main goal was to create depth and morning atmosphere, as well as to learn how to paint waves in perspective, so I'd be glad to hear what you think on the result. Any other critique and paintovers are very welcome, too! ^^

Replies

• BobbyRebholz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobbyRebholz polycounter lvl 6
    Hey ColorMusic,

I think you have a nice start here but some of the values are off.  For instance, the grassy hill in the foreground and then the large rocks right after it are competing with each other in tone.  You need to lighten up the rocks as well as the lower right-hand corner.  Even though steep, underwater drop-offs do show a deeper blue, what you have there is a bit too saturated.  The boulder barely in view right next to your signed name is hardly readable.  It also has a bit too much saturated blues and greens.  That rock definitely would be reflecting those colors but the hue should be desaturated.  Hope this helps!  

The composition is also a bit boring.  What you could do is bring the beach out more so we can see the whole thing instead of awkwardly cutting it off on our left.  That little dragon on the rock should be taken out.  It doesn't do anything for the piece.  If you want that to be the focal point, really show it off and make it big!! You could even make it a huge beached dragon that washed ashore.   Hope this helps!