Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

About head modeling

null
Hello! Just made my Polycount account right now!
I play with 3D modeling since some years ago, but I always had some problems with the head. Yesterday I decided to make a new head model for a new basemesh I working on, but I think it can be better... But I don't know exactly how.

So I want to ask some hints for improving it. Any advice is welcome.

I'm using this sketch as a reference.

Note: I came to 3D modeling after years of drawing, and studied head anatomy a lot. If it's something wrong, feel free to destroy my dreams.

Replies

• luck6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luck6 polycounter lvl 10
    Hi there NoisyChain,

I suggest looking at some tutorials about topology. I'm not a expert on character modeling but I notice that your edge loops are a bit off. There is a lot on the internet about it if you just search on google. and otherwise you can look on gumroad for some more professional tutorials. https://gumroad.com/l/aoYw#

• ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Really consider switching to a clay modeler like zbrush or mudbox. Heads are super complicated and difficult to do as it is, when you throw the slow speed and technical requirements of box modeling into the mix, it becomes significantly more difficult to get any better. 
  • NoisyChain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoisyChain null
    ysalex said:
    Really consider switching to a clay modeler like zbrush or mudbox. Heads are super complicated and difficult to do as it is, when you throw the slow speed and technical requirements of box modeling into the mix, it becomes significantly more difficult to get any better. 
    It's a possibility, but I need the low poly head. I would sculp in the future for baking the normal maps. I'm looking at Mudbox and I will get it soon. BTW, I know how difficult it is.
    luck6 said:
    Hi there NoisyChain,

I suggest looking at some tutorials about topology. I'm not a expert on character modeling but I notice that your edge loops are a bit off. There is a lot on the internet about it if you just search on google. and otherwise you can look on gumroad for some more professional tutorials. https://gumroad.com/l/aoYw#

I always had problems with head topology... Thanks for the tutorial, I will check it.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @NoisyChain

You still need to retopology the low poly head on top of your hight poly head sculpt because it's part of the workflow, so what's stopping you from sculpting the high poly anatomy first?
  • NoisyChain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoisyChain null
    @FourtyNights

I make the low poly first, them I sculpt the high poly version using the low poly version as a base. My computer is not that powerful, so I need to be careful about the sculpt polycount (Sculptris crashes when there is too many of them).