Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] [WIP] FF7 Midgar

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
stororokw polycounter lvl 3
I was inspired by a couple threads here enough to want to start learning how to create environment art. So I am attempting to create Midgar city from final fantasy 7. This will probably end disastrously, but I just want to get the ball rolling and give it a try. Not sure where to begin, maybe I will try to create a fire hydrant or crate.

Replies

• stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am trying to get the correct sense of scale. I guess I am going to continue working on it till it feels right in UE4.
  • stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was trying to figure out the scale of the plate, but still cant decide on it, so instead of wasting more time doing that I am currently trying to learn to create assets.
    Trying to model a asset based off of the port of Liverpool building. Nothing is to the grid at the moment and I am stuck at this particular stage. I have some questions about modular workflow:
    1. Is it okay if my modular pieces are irregular sizes? for example the wall piece will be 5.5m x 6.5m instead of 5m x 6m. I am asking this question because I think the arc looks strange when its narrower.
    2. Should I keep all my modular pieces the same width? e.g  main facade piece width (5.5m) and tower piece width (4.0m) made into 5.0m
    3. Should I model the details (the lines in the walls) in the mesh or leave it to the textures?
    4. What should the snapping distance be 10cm, 50cm, 100cm or does it not matter?
    5. Should other modular buildings that get created use the same size so that everything fits?
    Are the dimensions for my breakdown okay? I really need some advice on it.