Home Technical Talk

texel density for modular assets ~ quixel to ue4

JEK5019
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
JEK5019 polycounter lvl 3
hey all - 

i've been slowly building a sci-fi modular set in 3ds max, which i will then texture in quixel and finally import into ue4.

i've always used quixel for simple, singular props. however, i'm curious about the suggested method for texuring several modular assets?

all the assets will be used to build an exterior building - so there will be many, various pieces. i want to make sure when i texture - the scratches, worn edges, etc.. are a constant throughout.

are there any tutorials covering this topic? 

thanks in advance!!

jón

Replies

• Lt_Commander
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    Not a tutorial per say, but nothing says you have to bring in a mesh that's 'accurate' for texture painting. You can bake all your maps externally and bring in a mesh that has all the components you'd need to do painting and previews in 3Do, even if it's an exploded mess. 

As for material consistency, you can save materials you create for one prop as custom smart materials for later use, they'll even default to the same masking colors on your ID map. The only wrinkle is custom masks, but all the custom mask component blends you've already done will be remembered.